Wide angle and/or Macro - Need Lens Ideas

redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
edited May 15, 2009 in Cameras
I'm thinking about a new lens but I have two pretty opposite interests and I'm not sure which way to go.

I am interested in starting some macro shooting. I can do some closeups with what I have but nothing in the way of true macro detailed shots. I'd considered the 105 2.8 last year but opted for a 70-300 for wildlife shots. I have not used the 70-300 as much as I thought I would as I find my interests are really with other subjects.

I am also thinking about a better wide angle zoom (I have the kit Nikkor 18-55), which I would probably use more than a macro. I shoot a lot of landscapes, roads, hills, etc. Also lots of flower beds, fences, and old buildings. I typically grab my 18-55 for those and go for a wider view.

Wide open or close up??? Not sure which way I'll go but some lens ideas for both would be helpful.

Thanks!!
Lauren
"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com

Comments

• Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2009
    Get some macro tubes and you have the best of both worlds. Your wide lens will still shoot great macro shots with the aid of the tubes.
    Steve

Website
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2009
    Get some macro tubes and you have the best of both worlds. Your wide lens will still shoot great macro shots with the aid of the tubes.

And the Canon 500D (more of a filter, works on Nikons) too, as it makes zooms into good macros as well.
    //Leah
  • ban25ban25 Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited May 13, 2009
    I have a wide prime that I use for most of my landscape photography, the 20/2.8 AI-S. Wide zooms are fine, and the 14-24 is the best, but I find I typically don't utilize the zoom range. The 20/2.8 is so tiny that it's easy to slip into a pocket if you think you might need it.

If you are looking for a zoom, the 12-24 F/4 is a good option on DX and probably the new 10-24mm zoom as well.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2009
    Thanks, all. I should have said that I'm considering a wide angle prime also, so I appreciate the suggestions on the 20/2.8. I wasn't sure if that was wide enough but it's so close to the 18 end of my zoom that it should work fine.

Didn't even know about the macro tubes--can ya'll tell me more?

Thanks,
    Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2009
    Could also consider the Sigma 18-50mm 2.8 Macro. It will solve all your problems. Can get it for around $400.
  • Albert DicksonAlbert Dickson Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2009
    Could also consider the Sigma 18-50mm 2.8 Macro. It will solve all your problems. Can get it for around $400.

I have used this lens extensively and am quite fond of it for landscape work. It's macro abilities are very limited as it is a 1:3 mag not true 1:1 macro. For the $$ I agree, it is a nice lens, good build, f2.8 and good AF.
  • Albert DicksonAlbert Dickson Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2009
    One other thought. Have you looked at the Tokina 11-16mm. I just ordered one. It is suposed to be the end all of ultra wides for DX bodies. The reviews are all +++. Not much help on the Macro front though.
    edited May 13, 2009
    I just saw an ad for the Tokina and am interested. I hope you'll post some pics and comments after you start using yours.

Thanks,
    Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • ban25ban25 Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    redleash wrote:
    Thanks, all. I should have said that I'm considering a wide angle prime also, so I appreciate the suggestions on the 20/2.8. I wasn't sure if that was wide enough but it's so close to the 18 end of my zoom that it should work fine.

Didn't even know about the macro tubes--can ya'll tell me more?

Thanks,
    Lauren

It's plenty wide on full frame. On crop it's a moderate wide, as you can see by setting your zoom to 20.
  • TizianoTiziano Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    I have the Sigma 17-70mm Macro and love it. I am however looking into a Tokina 100mm 2.8 Macro. It's in my BH cart but I keep going back and forth due to the economy.

This shot was done with the Sigma.
    FWIW, although my SmugMug site is still in development, the shots in the slideshow here as well as the current ones on the gallery page were shot with the Sigma as well.

I also have the Tokina 11-16mm and love that. I've sadly only really used it once so far but have had it for months.rolleyes1.gif

It's not much to look at but here's a shot with one.
    A Nikon D90 plus some Nikon, Sigma & Tokina lenses.
    edited May 15, 2009
    Thanks, Tiziano. I appreciate you showing me some pics. I'm still up in the air on lenses at the moment so I am happy to get info from other folks based on their experiences.

Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com