Ok... Need Help with My Energy Entry Please

KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
edited May 14, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
ok, these are the two I finally settled on for the "energy submission".. The first is a zoom shot for energy in motion. No photoshop, just shot that way, so I know it needs to be cleaned up some.. I can do some work to it if I decide to enter it, just wanted to get your thoughts on it before putting all the work into it..

The next series I have already put a lot into, and this one is denoting energy via plant life, human life and light energy.. I posted several versions. I need to know which looks best, and if there is anything that needs work. Please let me know.. I have spent so much time on it, I just cannot look at it objectively anymore.. need help please... Thanks.. Kat

ZOOM

535446276_Ddw7W-L.jpg

Tree1

535433352_334yj-L.jpg

Tree 2

535433215_fjHzC-L.jpg

Tree 3

535433088_pY3Ve-L.jpg

I have thick skin,,, so let me have it... any tweaks?

Thanks
Kat:scratch:scratch:scratch:scratch:scratch:scratch:scratch:scratch:scratch

Comments

• travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2009
    Your trees are wonderful especially the first one, but the image tells to me more "ecology"
    than energy, because of the hand: "taking care of nature..." type of photos

The first photo (zoom) is a good start, but it tells me more "motion" than energy, again...

Maybe you can make it more orange and add something like a running person, or something else... in the middle headscratch.gif

- Just my personal opinion...
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2009
    tree 1 is very good, though it's missing something for the theme. but i think you can add something to it (i'm not sure what though)
    consider using "going green" for the title =c)

the first picture is more energetic, but not really all that good =c/
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2009
    I feel the energy from #1, but technically, it's not doing it for me. It looks a little overexposed, and I'd like to see something tangible... Maybe if you had the hood of a car in the foreground that's stationary, use the feeling of motion from the zooming to give it a feeling that you're in the car flying down the country road. (Have a friend drive!! rolleyes1.gif ) or just shot the hood of a car from inside and place it in your current photos...

The Tree shots... WOW!!! That is cool!! clap.gif
    I really like the processing on #1, great work!!
    That said, I'm just not feeling energy from it... sorry... it's really an awesome photo but I'm not getting the conection to the theme...
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2009
    Another vote for tree shot #1. Really cool. I also agree you need to add another element to it to fit the theme. Not sure what but something.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2009
    I like tree #1 the best. It's a nicely done composite. But I agree with the others that it says "ecology" or "environment" rather than "energy". Perhaps if the plant were more visibly a food source, it would say energy better. That may be hard to accomplish this time of year unless you're really far south. The other thing that seems to keep this from exuding "energy" is that the lighting is fairly soft and the colors are relatively cool. With more of a warm glow the image would appear more energenic. Good luck!

Your first concept needs more of a subject to be interesting. Do you have access to a hyperkinetic small child? eek7.gif I could imagine some cool motion blur with a child on a trike, swingset, pogo stick or jumping rope.
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2009
    Oh Freakin Bummer.....
    :bashyelrotflmao.gif

Ok,,, well I knew I could count on you guys for honesty....Thank You "All" so much for the help.

Man........ I gotta go all the way back to the drawing board... You all are absolutely right.............

I will tell you the element that is missing.. It is sun rays pouring down on the tree with a dramatic lens flare.. I tried it and well, I did not leave myself enough room in the sky to pull that off, I spent 2 days trying to build sun rays into it and to pop the sky... so finally I settled on this.....
    well, society uses tree to power a lot of stuff..At least now I know you guys are looking for "punch" in this theme, another wards light and colors and a real high energy look... So back out to try again....

Thanks for the time you guys took to comment and help me out. Like I said, once you look at something for so long you tend to make it right in your own head..

Thanks a Million,thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    Kat
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    #1 has good motion but without a subject there to denote the creation of the blur or energy makes it feel like something is missing. The tree is nice PS work but it does not convey energy for me has presented
    my .02 but hope it is worth more in helping you
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    Of the tree shots, #1 is the best of the lot. The clouds are the most evenly exposed in that one. The idea is good, but what's missing is sunshine. Creating sunrays via PS will not be easy for that shot, as you already found out, but I'm wondering how it would look if you boosted the yellows just a little. headscratch.gif Sometimes I've been able to fake sunshine by doing that.

ne_nau.gifSomething similar to #1 has already been done for a challenge. http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/167709_v3S3q#439752324_xZMeC
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    What about shooting the "ZOOM" in the sunset or sunrise and (eventually - if still needed) try superimposing
    in the middle something else in motion, with the same kind of light (or maybe creating a kind of scenario...)?
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    thank you both
    ok.. I did not know that something similar had been done in the past.. neat..

Linda, I will try your idea if I end up having to use it, with the yellow and the additional composite.. no. Yeah,, I tried the rays, I just did not leave myself enough room to integrate rays and sun in a cloud break..

and photobug,,, I am going to try this lens technique on the sunset.. that is a good idea.. you never know what I will get.. never thought of that, and it will already have the punchy colors..

I shot an old lit up theater..last night. I will post that one later for your review..

Thanks Gals

Kat
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    ok.. I did not know that something similar had been done in the past.. neat..

Linda, I will try your idea if I end up having to use it, with the yellow and the additional composite.. no. Yeah,, I tried the rays, I just did not leave myself enough room to integrate rays and sun in a cloud break..

and photobug,,, I am going to try this lens technique on the sunset.. that is a good idea.. you never know what I will get.. never thought of that, and it will already have the punchy colors..

I shot an old lit up theater..last night. I will post that one later for your review..

Thanks Gals

Kat

Photobug (Tatiana's) idea sounds interesting! I would have never thought of trying that. Can't wait to see if you can implement it.

Old lit up theater? Can't wait to see those shots, either! mwink.gif