Site Survey

GemGemGemGem Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
edited May 14, 2009 in People
Hi!

I went to check out the location my customer choose for her little girl's session. I took a couple of shots of my baby girl there. There is tons of shade by the barn, I know I will have to use my flash, although I didn't bring it with me for the test the pics clearly show I need to use fill light. Now, I find the barn color totally distracting, but that maybe just me. The highway is to the left and right of the barn. My customer is going to dress her little girl in white.

Comments/suggestions please :)
535106693_4GHg7-M.jpg
535106461_LcYJG-M.jpg
535078056_ye7Lh-M.jpg
535078816_yJUDX-M.jpg
535079619_qrD4U-M.jpg
535081983_b2Lqu-M.jpg
535083101_CfD7x-M.jpg
535083439_tzcoY-M.jpg
535083824_dNjSA-M.jpg

Thank you!
GG

Comments

• JAMooreJAMoore Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited May 13, 2009
    I think you're off to a fantastic start. There are a few things I would keep in mind for your next shoot at this location:

- Tilt: This set has tilt in most of the photos. Perhaps try to straighten them up more
    - DOF: What lens are you using? If possible try to stay below f/5.6 or maybe f/4 (on a longer lens, 50mm+) to allow for some nice BG bokeh. This will make the BG less distracting even though I don't think it really is to begin with.
    - Centered Subject: Try to keep the rule of thirds in mind and get the subject out of the center of the frame.

You have an incredibly cute little girl and I love these because she looks so natural. As long as you can allow your next subject to be as comfortable you will have some great shots. thumb.gif
  • GemGemGemGem Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2009
    JAMoore wrote:
    I think you're off to a fantastic start. There are a few things I would keep in mind for your next shoot at this location:

- Tilt: This set has tilt in most of the photos. Perhaps try to straighten them up more
    - DOF: What lens are you using? If possible try to stay below f/5.6 or maybe f/4 (on a longer lens, 50mm+) to allow for some nice BG bokeh. This will make the BG less distracting even though I don't think it really is to begin with.
    - Centered Subject: Try to keep the rule of thirds in mind and get the subject out of the center of the frame.

You have an incredibly cute little girl and I love these because she looks so natural. As long as you can allow your next subject to be as comfortable you will have some great shots. thumb.gif

- Thank you JAMoore! now that you mention it, yea, you are right they do have a tilt to them.

- I used a 55-200 but it is really sloooow, so I won't be using that one. I also used my 50 1.8 and kept the Apperture between 4.5-5. I will stry to keep it at 4 on most shots since it will be just pictures of the little girl.

I have a Tamron 28-75 2.8, but need to play with it a little more. I am yet to get consistent results with it.

- I agree with you on the rule of thirds. I noticed the shots where I applied it the pictures came look so much better

Thank you so much for your comments I really appreciate it :)

GG
  • mpriest13mpriest13 Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2009
    GemGem wrote:
    - Thank you JAMoore! now that you mention it, yea, you are right they do have a tilt to them.

- I used a 55-200 but it is really sloooow, so I won't be using that one. I also used my 50 1.8 and kept the Apperture between 4.5-5. I will stry to keep it at 4 on most shots since it will be just pictures of the little girl.

I have a Tamron 28-75 2.8, but need to play with it a little more. I am yet to get consistent results with it.

- I agree with you on the rule of thirds. I noticed the shots where I applied it the pictures came look so much better

Thank you so much for your comments I really appreciate it :)

GG

I think you would be crazy to not use the 28-75 f2.8 and the 50mm f1.8! I would get comfortable with that really fast. They are FAR superior to the 55-200...at least that is my opinion. I rented the nikon version of your Tamron lens and it is incredible! I wish I could afford one.
    edited May 13, 2009
    mpriest13 wrote:
    I think you would be crazy to not use the 28-75 f2.8 and the 50mm f1.8! I would get comfortable with that really fast. They are FAR superior to the 55-200...at least that is my opinion. I rented the nikon version of your Tamron lens and it is incredible! I wish I could afford one.

Oh, Mpriest13, I LOVE my 50mm 1.8. I always shoot with this one. I am trying to get used to the Tamron. I just don't want to use it on photo shoots until I am 100% sure how to use it. I have heard reviews about the Nikon version of the Tamron 28-75 they are all great reviews! but dang, that lense is expensive!
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    * This is a perfect location for use of a reflector. Have mom hold it, that will also keep her off of your shoulder & give her something constructive to do :D

* Shoot loose enough to allow for cropping

* Don't cut off those feet, at least not partially so, as you've done here
    Randy
    edited May 14, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    * This is a perfect location for use of a reflector. Have mom hold it, that will also keep her off of your shoulder & give her something constructive to do :D

* Shoot loose enough to allow for cropping

* Don't cut off those feet, at least not partially so, as you've done here

Hi! I was thinking of using my silver/gold reflector and bouncing the flash of it. I will also bring a piece of foam from Home D. and hand it to Mom ;)

I will pay attention to the feeties..iloveyou.gif

Thank you!