40D picture quality question

scottcolbathscottcolbath Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
edited May 15, 2009 in Cameras
My boss just picked up a refurbished 40D. He says he can not select JPEG+RAW as a quality option.

I can do that on my 30D. Why would the 40D not have that ability?

S.C.

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,341 moderator
    edited May 13, 2009
    I have a 40D, and it does have RAW+JPG. I usually shoot RAW only, but I have occasionally shot RAW+JPG.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS40D/page2.asp

--- Denise
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2009
    My boss just picked up a refurbished 40D. He says he can not select JPEG+RAW as a quality option.

I can do that on my 30D. Why would the 40D not have that ability?

S.C.
    40D has the ability. I don't have my camera with me right now to verify this, but if I'm not mistaken, you can only shoot jpg if you're using the "green" automatic mode.

Switch modes to Av, Tv, and M; your boss should be able to shot RAW+jpg.
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    I think in Av, Tv, P, M, and A-Dep modes you can select them.
    In auto and those scene modes, I don't think you can.
  • Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    Honestly though, green square auto mode when shooting a 40D? Mine never saw anything but Av, TV, or M. I really don't even know why the rest are there. It could bring down the price a bit... But I digress...

The 40D does shoot RAW+JPEG, but I only shot mine on RAW. No point for me to have another file when I can make the RAW file look better than the JPEG and make it into a JPEG if I need it for something.

I couldn't tell you if you can only select RAW+JPEG on the more manual settings only as I've never shot it on any of the auto settings, so it was just always available for me.

Good luck.
  • scottcolbathscottcolbath Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    Honestly though, green square auto mode when shooting a 40D? Mine never saw anything but Av, TV, or M. I really don't even know why the rest are there. It could bring down the price a bit... But I digress...

I know too many people with DSLRs now that shoot only in the auto modes. Makes no sense to me. As you, I shoot primarily in Av, Tv or M.

S.C.
  • Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    If 40D's work like 50D's (pretty sure they do) it just has to be on one of the big boy settings then you can set it for both RAW + JPEG. yelrotflmao.gif Tell your boss to sell the camera and buy a point and shoot lol... if he still wants amazing quality get a Canon G10... deal.gif They're pretty sweet. mwink.gif

I only shoot RAW in Manual... my 50D has never felt the horror of even the slightly automatic/customizable modes... bowdown.gif My reasoning is, if I can't get a great picture by using my instincts and judgement I shouldn't be shooting at all. thumb.gif
    Jer
  • Scott McLeod PhotoScott McLeod Photo Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    You think all the people buying dslr's actually understand all their power and advantages. Most equate $$'s spent with quality and expect it to be simple to use, and don't take the time to learn anything about the camera and its possibilities. My stepmom is a perfect example, great top of the line computer, and besides checking some emails, and doing a few documents on it, it gets little use. But if it weren't for idiots like them, then companies wouldn't sell as many, and couldn't put more $$ into R&D and quality. So they serve a purpose. I have seen people with too much money and too little photo knowledge by 1 series canons and then make complaints. Mostly they don't have a clue. You should charge him (your boss) for help by the hour.
    WTB: 1GB and 512k CF cards.
    I have a need for a decent # of these smaller cards. If you have multiple cards that would be great. I am located at zip code 35243 & 35255.
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    Wow, lot of hater out here.
    OT but looks like folks are just bashing the poor guy that just bought a 40D and just has a simple question and not even addressing the question.

This forum used to be a very friendly place. Maybe we should listen to our mothers and say nothing at all if you don't have anything nice to say.

Sorry to get on a soapbox, but maybe it's just me that is noticing a change in demeanor at the gear section here.
  • crockettcrockett Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    Not to mention I know of two wedding shooters who routinely gross over 10K per wedding and both flip their Canons to "P" mode for some of their shots.

One of them I am certain knows the canon 30D - 5D II cameras better than any of us. He's amazing . . .knows every single custom function, etc. He told me "think of "P" as another C1 or C2. It gets you to a known baseline quick and weddings move quick."

No need to point our noses up in the air about proper ways to use a camera.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,081 moderator
    edited May 15, 2009
    OK folks this is thread is turning sour. Back on topic please. If you want to start a thread on which camera mode/modes is/are "better", please start a new thread.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • scottcolbathscottcolbath Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    Back on topic. My boss apparently had the camera set to one of the basic modes. Problem solved. :D

S.C.