what to buy?

lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
edited May 13, 2009 in Cameras
I need some guidance on which route to go, as I'm sort of limited on what I can spend. I have the basic D40 with kit lens. I really want a 50mm prime lens. Here are some options:

1. Keep everything I have right now, and buy the nikon 50mm f/1.4G AF-S for about $485.00. (They have a 50mm f/1.4 D that is cheaper but doesn't autofocus with my camera.)

2. Sell my d40 body and lens and buy the body only d200 from best buy on sale for $599 and purchase the cheaper 50mm lens.

3. Purchase the d200 body only, sell my d40 body, keep my lens and buy the 50mm f/1.8.

My questions are:
I eventually want an upgraded camera. I also want a fast portrait lens.
How much better is the d200 than the d40? Would it be worth it or should I hold out for something different? If I get a new camera and lens, it would have to stay around or below 1200 (and that is only if I can sell my kit that I currently have.) what is the best camera/lens combo for this amount?

Also, is there a HUGE image quality difference between the 50mm f/1.4 (either) and the f/1.8? Or between te f/1.4 D and the f/1.4G AF-S

My husband just bought a $1400 guitar and is trying to justify it by telling me I can buy a new camera and/or lens, lol...I want to sort of take advantage of it but at the same time don't want to spend too much money right away, if I'm going to want something even better down the road. I eventually want to do this for money. Is the d200 a good one for that or should I hold out?

thanks for the input..

Also was wondering about the D90, is that as good or better than the D200?

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2009
    There is very big leap from the d40 to the d200. That BB sale is very very good. I got one as well. I would sell your d40 and get the d200 + 50mm 1.4D (the older version).

One thing to note though,..the d200 is pro body..meaning it only has M, P, A, and S settings.It doesn't have the presets like "night time", "baby", "macro" etc. As long as you are comfortbale with that.

The D90 was my usual reccomendation as the best value but the d200 has eclipsed that since the price drop.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2009
    Thank you Qarik! I only shoot manual anyway so the presets wouldn't bother me at all. In fact i've never even touched them on my D40. By older version lens you mean the cheaper one right? F/1.4D?. With the D200 there wouldn't be much of a difference?

EDIT: Sorry I just now saw that you had F/1.4D in your post...

Thanks!
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2009
    It kind of depends on what direction you want your photography to head in. The D90 certainly has some bells and whistles that a lot of people enjoy. The added video certainly is a drawing point for some. It allows you to shoot at much higher ISO, and the quality is great.
    The D200 is a bit behind the curve, but still a great system. It has limited bells and whistles compared to the newer models. It does have a better more rigid body and will allow you the use of the entire Nikkor lineup from the last 20+ years.

As far as the different 50mm lenses go, they have their strengths and weaknesses. All are on the soft side wide open, yet are tack sharp from 2.8 on.
    Head to head, there are some very minor differences between the 1.4 and 1.8 but unless you are pixel peeping, you will rarely notice it.
    Neither are as good as the manual focus 1.2 AIS. (just saying)
    Steve

Website
    edited May 13, 2009
    lilmomma wrote:
    Thank you Qarik! I only shoot manual anyway so the presets wouldn't bother me at all. In fact i've never even touched them on my D40. By older version lens you mean the cheaper one right? F/1.4D?. With the D200 there wouldn't be much of a difference?

EDIT: Sorry I just now saw that you had F/1.4D in your post...

Thanks!

Thw new version is sharper wide open..about the only functional difference from a LOT of reviews I read. What you will miss from the D90..much better LCD, HD video, smaller size, maybe 1 stop in in iso performance.

The d200 has slighly better AF system and 1 more set of buttons to control AF points that the D90 has to change through menu. The body is weather sealed and feels more sturdy in the hands. Both have onboard commander modes for built in flash. Ad a few more FPS.

After getting the D200..if I am not in low light..I think I prefer the D200 over the D90 by a hair due to the AF focus point control
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    edited May 13, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    Thw new version is sharper wide open..about the only functional difference from a LOT of reviews I read. What you will miss from the D90..much better LCD, HD video, smaller size, maybe 1 stop in in iso performance.

The d200 has slighly better AF system and 1 more set of buttons to control AF points that the D90 has to change through menu. The body is weather sealed and feels more sturdy in the hands. Both have onboard commander modes for built in flash. Ad a few more FPS.

After getting the D200..if I am not in low light..I think I prefer the D200 over the D90 by a hair due to the AF focus point control

What about if you are in low light? Also, is the D80 even close to comparison with either of these two? I'm thinking not, but I just read that the D90 was the upgrade from the D80 and I'm wondering if it is as good as the D200.
    edited May 13, 2009
    lilmomma wrote:
    What about if you are in low light? Also, is the D80 even close to comparison with either of these two? I'm thinking not, but I just read that the D90 was the upgrade from the D80 and I'm wondering if it is as good as the D200.

The D90 is a generation ahead of the D80. It is not merely an "upgrade". It has the same sensor as the D300 (maybe even slightly improved). Image quality wise the D90 and the D300 are comparable but the D300 has more robust autofocus and "buttons" so you can have more control. The d300 alos has micro-adjust cabability for each lens. Note the D90 came out maybe a year ago while the D200 has been out for around 4 years.

The d90 has roughly 1 stop advantage over the D200 in lowlight. The d80 is fine camera as well. I would put it at a "prosumer" level d200. I think they have similar guts but the body type is much less pro..though to be honest I don't know that much abou the d80.
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    edited May 13, 2009
    Ok..I decided to sell my D40 & lens, and although i've spent more than i wanted to or needed to, my new D90 with 18-105mm VR is on it's way! And soon i'll be getting the cheaper 50mm prime... Thanks for the advice guys!