Head shots - technique, lighting, book recommendations?

reynazackphotographyreynazackphotography Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
edited May 14, 2009 in People
Hi,
I am new to shooting head shots. I live in Los Angeles and I think it could be a lucrative part of my photography business. I want to improve!
I want to do more research on making my shots more professional looking and what casting directors are looking for specifically and how to master these techniques.
Does anyone know of any materials I could buy that explain the technique (lighting, posing, maybe some photoshop tips, etc) of head shot photography? I have searched for books, but haven't found ANY.
Thank you!
Reyna

Reyna Zack Photography
www.ReynaZackPhotography.com

Comments

• marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2009
    Hi, Reyna! Divamum has a thread she just started that you might find useful: http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=130559
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2009
    Here is a link to Reproductions, one of the foremost headshot repro houses. THey also publish a directory of headshot photogs both in NYC and LA. You can do a lot worse than to follow the links there to the many headshot photogs listed - many have a LOT of information about exactly what you're asking, and you can certainly learn a lot just by studying the images.

Also, I wrote a fair bit about the "philosophy" behind headshots in this thread. NB I am an opera singer, not a casting director or film/tv performer, but the goals behind the "perfect headshot" are the same. Main thing: it's about selilng PERSONALITY, which has to be a fusion of what the photographer sees and what the performer wishes to project. No point at all in having a sultry, sexy headshot if the performer is auditioning for ingenues and Disney Princseses! The best headshot photographers not only have a great photographic eye, but also know roles and styles (straight theater, TV, soap, commercial/advertising, music theater etc etc) and work WITH the performer to come up with an image that can sell them on paper.

From a practical point of view: eyes, eyes, eyes. Good headshots are almost always ALL about the ability of the eyes to grab you.

HTH.
  • reynazackphotographyreynazackphotography Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    Thanks for the good info!
    I'm wondering though, where are the photography books on head shots??
    There are wonderful books on portaits but I can't find any specifically on head shots.
    Anyone have suggestions?

divamum wrote:
    Here is a link to Reproductions, one of the foremost headshot repro houses. THey also publish a directory of headshot photogs both in NYC and LA. You can do a lot worse than to follow the links there to the many headshot photogs listed - many have a LOT of information about exactly what you're asking, and you can certainly learn a lot just by studying the images.

Also, I wrote a fair bit about the "philosophy" behind headshots in this thread. NB I am an opera singer, not a casting director or film/tv performer, but the goals behind the "perfect headshot" are the same. Main thing: it's about selilng PERSONALITY, which has to be a fusion of what the photographer sees and what the performer wishes to project. No point at all in having a sultry, sexy headshot if the performer is auditioning for ingenues and Disney Princseses! The best headshot photographers not only have a great photographic eye, but also know roles and styles (straight theater, TV, soap, commercial/advertising, music theater etc etc) and work WITH the performer to come up with an image that can sell them on paper.

From a practical point of view: eyes, eyes, eyes. Good headshots are almost always ALL about the ability of the eyes to grab you.

HTH.