Toy Cameras

marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
edited June 7, 2009 in Cameras
Hi all! I have a Diana F+ Camera on its way to me and wondered if any of you guys have had experiences with these so-called "toy cameras." I wanted to experiment since I always found myself putting effects on my digital photos anyway, and I'd heard there's a vintage quality to the images produced by these cameras.

Comments

• swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    The Diana's are a bit of a cult following camera. There are many photographers that would give up their weight in gold for them, and others that are happy to have them used as tinker toys. They certainly have a unique look and following. Give it a try, you might enjoy it.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited May 14, 2009
    The Diana's are a bit of a cult following camera. There are many photographers that would give up their weight in gold for them, and others that are happy to have them used as tinker toys. They certainly have a unique look and following. Give it a try, you might enjoy it.

15524779-Ti.gif Jonathan has it right. You will either love or hate the camera, there is generally not too much in between.

People tend to love the cameras for their "flaws" (design compromises is a better term really). The cameras have a very simple lens which induces various aberrations and even the camera back usually doesn't fit properly, prompting light leaks which degrade the periphery of the image. The effect of the camera's problems can equate to a rather cute or nostalgic image on the film.

The problem, if any, I have with this is that each camera has its own unique problems, which lends to a unique "personality" for the camera. That means the same image attributes apply to each subsequent image. After a while, the "sameness" of the problems can get old. Some owners compensate with multiple copies of the Diana, each marked with the dominant flaws they present.

Modern digital software makes it relatively easy to duplicate a similar series of image flaws except that each image can be unique in the degree, position and number of optical and mechanical flaws.

Use the Diana camera to inspire you to explore similar software image "adjustments" in order to selectively and deliberately control the viewers eye and elicit emotions towards your images.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    Thanks for responding, Jon and Ziggy. I just got it today, complete with a toy flash and a 35mm adapter since I had to order 120mm film from B&H and they won't come till next week. I didn't realize about the sameness of the consistency of the flaws, but it makes sense, Ziggy.

I must say that there was a learning curve for sure. It was so light and seemed so fragile that I was scared changing to the 35mm backing! I took some shots after a very inauspicious beginning (some mislabeled part had me scratching my head on what to do next) and I finally got the flash to work (hello, battery!). There was also a stash of colored filters, but I didn't see that till the end of my 24 ct film. It honestly didn't feel like I was taking pictures lol (and luckily I have freakishly small hands), but I have faith that the whole roll won't be bad (as in totally black, since I pulled on a part like the booklet told me to and the backing came off a little bit and probably exposed my whole roll as I was about to rewind headscratch.gif)

I'll get it developed tomorrow lol. Maybe play around with it some more since there's apparently a focus ring I didn't see earlier, and tricks and tips on how to properly use it from the booklet that I was too excited to read.
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2009
    Wow okay, I finally had time to use my Diana. Sorry about the bad crop but GIMP kept crashing every few minutes so I just scanned as quickly as I could. These were taken in the mountains of NC where my husband's family has a cabin near the summit.

Unclemickey.jpg

Adamandmickey.jpg

Adamandmickey2.jpg

It has a definite learning curve (specially with the attachments that come with it, oh my). Out of the 4 rolls I shot, I like about 4 headscratch.gif

I find that it's an expensive addiction too. I really like the idea of an instant back (their "polaroid") for the instant gratification I love about digital photography (minus the awesome delete button), but it's like $99, I think? And every instant film pack of 10 is $20 or so. Yikes!
  • amg2833amg2833 Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2009
    I strongly considered purchasing a Holga (another "toy" camera). Well, to tell the truth, I did purchase it, only to return it the next day. I decided that although DSLR gear is quite expensive, so is film, and on my student's budget, I just couldn't do film right now.

I do really enjoy the look given by the cameras, and I think the shots you posted were great. Enjoy it! clap.gif
    ANTHONY :thumb
    [AMG]photos

[Yashica Lynx 14E | Canon 30D | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | 540ez | Cactus V4s]