Options

Our first Strobist shoot - way too many pics...

rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
edited May 17, 2009 in People
< Edited to add: As always, C&C welcome >

There was a Strobist group started here in the D/FW area, and in 30 days we now have 107 members.

Last night we had our first Stobist shoot in a props warehouse. Only 2 models showed up. I mainly helped everyone, but did grab a few shots.

I loaned out 2 of my speedlights/umbrellas, so I used my newly purchased Ray Flash Ring Flash. For a short while I did have use of my other gear.

I've not settled on any firm feelings about the Ray Flash, but you can see its results here.

I know it's not "people", but the owner asked in return for using her building that we provide some shots of a few of her props.

Canon 5DMkII, 580EXII, Ray Ring Flash. - A few shots with 2 OCF/umbrellas.
Randy

Comments

• Options
    jbakerphotojbakerphoto Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2009
    Hey Randy,
    They look good as always. I have been watching the Dallas strobist group on flickr to see if they have been doing anything but they dont do much so maybe I will try to make one of your groups meetups.
    Jon
    40D,Rebel XT,Tamron 17-50 2.8,Tamron 28-80 3.5-5.6, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 70-200 2.8, Canon 580EX , Sunpack 383 w/ optical slave

www.jonbakerphotography.com
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2009
    unclejon wrote:
    Hey Randy,
    They look good as always. I have been watching the Dallas strobist group on flickr to see if they have been doing anything but they dont do much so maybe I will try to make one of your groups meetups.
    Jon

Hey Jon,

We don't have a Flickr group yet, but here is our Meetup website:

http://www.meetup.com/DFW-Strobist-Meetup-Group/

Come on over & join the fun. It's a little hectic since were growing so fast, but we'll get a handle on it.

And thanks for looking thumb.gif
    Randy
  • Options
    ToyseToyse Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    Nice Work.:D
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2009
    Toyse wrote:
    Nice Work.:D

Thanks Toyse

Where ya' been man?

Posted any cars lately?
    Randy
  • Options
    TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    Randy, those images rock! And the location was fantastic. thumb.gif We need to set up a strobist shoot around here.
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2009
    Travis wrote:
    Randy, those images rock! And the location was fantastic. thumb.gif We need to set up a strobist shoot around here.

Hey Travis,

I'm beginning to scratch my head about what might be wrong with my pics. 279 views and only 3 people left a comment.

Oh well ne_nau.gif

I appreciate you looking and leaving a comment. I tried to have a different look to most of these. Just to mix it up a bit. The location was fantastic!

Go ahead and set-up a Strobist group in your area. You'll get to meet a bunch of good folks, and get to share your knowledge and learn from others as you go.

Our strobist group has surprised us at how fast it's grown. 115 members in 5 weeks.
    Randy
  • Options
    TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2009
    Can't answer the lack of comment question. It is funny how forum posts sometimes generate pages of replies and other times little at all. I would like to give a good critique on these but I'm a little rushed right now. I'll tell you that the first one stopped me in my tracks - gorgeous with a slightly different look. The pose in the second looked a bit forced but the lighting was good. The b/w conversions were great - actually most of the female shots were spectacular.

The male shots 11 & 13 weren't working for me - I don't know if it is the light or the processing. The others were good but lacked the intimacy of the female shots. Could it be how the photographer related to the subject? :D

I met up with another photographer friend earlier this evening and we are talking about setting up a strobist group. As soon as my day job travel dies down, I plan to give it a go.
  • Options
    The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2009
    You could just post a few and link to the gallery instead of posting all 19 or w/e pictures.
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2009
    Travis,

I appreciate your critique. As you probably know, I'm really a sports photographer who's moving camp rolleyes1.gif

PM me whenever you get a strobist group going and I'll give you any info I have about the admin side of the group. Growing extremely fast does have its challenges.

Thanks again...

Travis wrote:
    Can't answer the lack of comment question. It is funny how forum posts sometimes generate pages of replies and other times little at all. I would like to give a good critique on these but I'm a little rushed right now. I'll tell you that the first one stopped me in my tracks - gorgeous with a slightly different look. The pose in the second looked a bit forced but the lighting was good. The b/w conversions were great - actually most of the female shots were spectacular.

The male shots 11 & 13 weren't working for me - I don't know if it is the light or the processing. The others were good but lacked the intimacy of the female shots. Could it be how the photographer related to the subject? :D

I met up with another photographer friend earlier this evening and we are talking about setting up a strobist group. As soon as my day job travel dies down, I plan to give it a go.
    Randy
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2009
    The Mack wrote:
    You could just post a few and link to the gallery instead of posting all 19 or w/e pictures.

Eric,

Thanks for the suggestion. But, I don't put pics like these (fun pics) in a "public" gallery on my site. I just have them in a hidden gallery (which may have a lot of other stuff in it) & link to them.

Thanks for looking thumb.gif
    Randy
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2009
    Hey Randy,

Nice work. It's hard to give CC on the artistic part of your work...so I'll just say this...I like it...nicely done. And, I think the ring flash is working. Wesley is looking spot on. I'm liking the skin tones, and the background is crazy nice...very well done.

Nit...number eight...proximity warning...looks like you were a tad close. The model's hand nearest the camera looks a bit large, usually because the lens is to close to the model and not able to flatten the image. Moving back a little here will help make that hand fit the image better.

One other thing...a warehouse and props...could it be better...wow.

Wish I lived close enough to make your stobist meetups.

Thanks for sharing...looking forward to more posts from you.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2009
    Ed911 wrote:
    Hey Randy,

Nice work. It's hard to give CC on the artistic part of your work...so I'll just say this...I like it...nicely done. And, I think the ring flash is working. Wesley is looking spot on. I'm liking the skin tones, and the background is crazy nice...very well done.

Nit...number eight...proximity warning...looks like you were a tad close. The model's hand nearest the camera looks a bit large, usually because the lens is to close to the model and not able to flatten the image. Moving back a little here will help make that hand fit the image better.

One other thing...a warehouse and props...could it be better...wow.

Wish I lived close enough to make your Strobist meetups.

Thanks for sharing...looking forward to more posts from you.

Ed,

Thanks for your input. Your spot on with that picture & the lens distortion.

I've got to test that ringflash (Ray Flash) more. One thing I don't like about it, is that when installed on your flash, it pulls the flash head down just enough to make it no longer "on lens axis". It's pointing downward some. The easy fix is to wrap a rubber band around the flash head "swivel" area, therefore not allowing the flash head to be pulled down. This does keep the ringflash on-axis, but I would have thought that the manufacturer would have allowed for this in the design.

Thanks again for your response.
    Randy