Mini-Challenge #76 "unexpected"

2»

Comments

• Options
    metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    Mini Challenge #76: "Unexpected" Fishing Buddies
    Love that Polish wedding shot. thumb.gif

I was taking some wildlife pictures at our family cabin and looked across at the dock and unexpectedly saw these fishing buddies from afar. Ethan is normally a very energetic child, but he was sitting next to his grandpa so still and in exactly the same position that I was pleased to get this shot.

539714086_Yigvx-M.jpg
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    While taking a long exposure, this bike rider rode into the frame.

111271109_vsZMP-L.jpg
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    We were on our way up the coast but bad weather out to sea kept us inport for a couple days on Ocracoke island. It finally got a little better so we pulled out (possible 8ft breakers to get through with 15 to 20 ft seas 13 seconds apart though so not too bad)

nice sunrise on our way out
    325081512_LSHvr-L.jpg

nice and calm in the channel.
    325087800_uPRP7-L.jpg

the possible 8 footers were bigger and by the time we were out, there was no turning back.(quite a few incredible images from the series actually) I took quite a pounding trying to get this shotrolleyes1.gif I jambed myself in between the small boat on the back upper deck and a wall. Its an 80 ft boat, to give you an idea on scale.
    325212921_PmBMg-L.jpg

safe and sound out to sea, saw some 25 plus footers I have some photos that you cant even see the boat.
    325219554_p68uW-L.jpg
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Registered Users Posts: 227 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    My first mini-challenge, this looks like fun! I hope you enjoy these...

I was taking a peaceful nature walk through the woods, keeping an eye out for birds to photograph. Of course they saw me coming and kept well hidden. Towards the end of the hike a squirrel ran across the path and up a tree. I looked to see where he went and found him peeking out at me from his apparent home.

297761757_9tbzS-L-3.jpg

I took the family to the zoo one Saturday and took along my trusty 400mm to see who might pose for me. The giraffes were wandering around lazily and after a while Mom and Baby approached each other and began nuzzling!

327210373_GK9fM-L-2.jpg

I was leaving my house one day and heard a rumble from above. A storm was coming in from the west with some impressive looking clouds. Along the upper rim of the largest cloud I saw a small band of colorful light. My equipment was in the car, so I quickly grabbed the 400mm lens to get a better look at what was up there. Wow! What was a small splotch of color was this fantastic 'rainbow-like' phenomenon. I set a new record setting up my tripod and ran off a few shots before it dissipated. I did some research and it is called: Iridescence (irisation) in Pileus Clouds. It is apparently not too common and this is one of the more interesting photographs I have been able to find of it. This photo has VERY minimal PP, what you see is what was there.

328963997_Sp3SR-L-3.jpg

Cheers!
  • Options
    clutch13clutch13 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited May 26, 2009
    I was walking around when my cat decided to have a big yawn. I quickly grabbed the camera and snapped this photo, enjoy!
    476129954_pByHw-L.jpg

I was taking pictures of hummingbirds when I turned around seeing this toad hanging off this knob. Of course after the shot I safely put him on the ground.

477415923_rDq72-L.jpg
  • Options
    markgorbymarkgorby Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    488671347_VcNt9-XL-3.jpg

This was going to be a sacrifice bunt but wound up being a get the heck out of the way. Spring Training in Florida for St. Bonaventure University baseball.
  • Options
    tykemamatykemama Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    Unexpected Light
    There are some amazing, serendipitous captures here in this challenge... and mine is a bit less amazing, but unexpected nonetheless. I was shooting this darling family, in natural light, in the late afternoon. I got some really fun images (the rest are here), but after I got home, and reviewed the shoot, this one just made my heart sing.

347439588_XXc5W-M.jpg

I love her expression, but what really made my heart sing was the light. Oh, this beautiful light, placed at the perfect angle to her sweet little face. It is this image that has driven me to strive to figure out how to emulate such beautiful natural light by artificial means. My successes since have been here and there, but I always come back to this image as my personal goal.
    ___
    www.kimberlyteichrow.com
    Original Artwork, Photography and More

I appreciate a good critique... and would love to hear from you!
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2009
    MikeK wrote:
    My first mini-challenge, this looks like fun! I hope you enjoy these...

Nice work, MikeK! I absolutely enjoyed them. Well crafted images!
    ___
    www.kimberlyteichrow.com

• Options
    edited May 27, 2009
    cj99si wrote:
    We were on our way up the coast but bad weather out to sea kept us inport for a couple days on Ocracoke island.

What a great story in pictures... Glad I wasn't on board! :puke
    ___
    www.kimberlyteichrow.com

• Options
    edited May 27, 2009
    Reminiscing...
    JAG wrote:
    2. Lets have lunch....I was out one afternoon with camera in hand (never leave home without it) and was trying to capture some busy bees out near the forest edge, when all the sudden this Damsel lands on my shoe to have her lunch. If you look closely you will see the fly she had just caught.
    274631216_X6La3-L-3.jpg

I had to pull this one out of the archives... reminds me so much of your image. While I was out with my dad trying to teach my boys how to fish, apparently Mom and Dad were on a hot date, as this little gosling was left behind and needed to snuggle up to my dad's shoe... but only for about 20 minutes. It was reunited shortly after this image was shot...

547297049_DvJKZ-M.jpg
    ___
    www.kimberlyteichrow.com

• Options
    edited May 27, 2009
    MissB wrote:
    I actually came to my parents house to photograph 4 generations of men in my family... I took this candid photo of my grandfather sitting outside and then realized later that I had captured my father and brother in the lenses of his sunglasses.

Love this... If this were my grandfather... it would probably be my favorite as well. Nice capture!
    ___
    www.kimberlyteichrow.com

• Options
    BkodgerBkodger Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    TYKEMAMA: What a great shot, she is adorable. I looked through your others too, very nice.
    Nikon D610
    70-200 f.28, 24-85
    www.PhotoExpectations.com
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    I saw this unusual cloud formation last December.
    547480202_Bi38y-L.jpg

My brother and I had been at a local pond shooting pictures of people and ducks. When we started to leave I noticed his reflection in this small creek. I told him to stop and when he realized what I was doing he raised his camera to get me getting him.
    547480174_SPY7X-L.jpg

Texas has its share of wildfires, but usually on a relatively small scale. In April there were some really large ones 60+ miles away that left the air here thick with smoke and west Texas dust. The sun was starting to go down when I started seeingthe sun turn a lot of interesting colors, at one point even a bright red.
    547480165_dk4Ck-L.jpg
  • Options
    Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    d
    It was a foggy night in April when I went out to walk the dog at about 9:15. I had seen some foggy/misty shots on dgrin and figured I'd have a go at it. I turned off all the outdoor lights except one 60 watt at the back door. I could barely see the cherry tree as a dark colorless form and expected an image that was quite devoid of color and certainly did not anticipated the concentric arcs created by the light bulb some twenty feet behind me. I was amazed at the result (this was one of my first low light night shots).

D700 14-24mm @19mm f/2.8 4s iso 400
    518849076_Va4C6-L.jpg

On a weekend trip to see my grandchildren my wife surprised me by booking a room in Manhattan for the first night. When I walked into the room and looked out the window this is what I saw (a view of the former World Trade Center site from the 58th floor).

D700 14-24mm @17mm f/14 1s iso 3200
    497479389_Aa2E8-L.jpg

I certainly never expected to take a picture like this when I started down the hill carrying this load of dirt. The rear wheels lifted off the ground an the tractor careened about 40 feet downhill before hitting the tree and nearly flipping over.

519449016_AWdUE-L.jpg

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    We were sitting outdoors at cafe by Les Halles in Paris and I saw a man sitting alone at a table, wearing a suit and a fedora and working on a computer. This was not a common site. I snapped a few shots, hoping for a good composition. Unexpectedly, a little girl rode by on her bicycle and I snapped this one. I almost didn't get her in the frame. The surprise was the look on her face.

1. Man in a Fedora

443593552_wwHiH-M.jpg

I was taking a graphic inside the science museum in Paris and just as I pressed the shutter, someone walked in front of me. Once he was past, I got my picture. When I saw this one, though, I really liked it - not sure why - maybe because the out-of-focus boy fits with the fact that he didn't have a clue I was standing right there with a camera.

2. The Interloper

443595363_bTMFR-M.jpg

I take a lot of pictures on the metro in Paris. We were between stations and I noticed three women sitting side by side all presenting their profiles. I quickly lifted my camera and took the picture just as one of the women looked in my direction. I thought I had lost my shot but when I saw the result, I realized that she had made the photo.

3. Three Women

443593256_jTDWq-M.jpg

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    AirThomAirThom Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    *PHLLLBBBT*
    527728559_wcTQY-L.jpg

Nothing like a quick nap at lunch
    493190668_xqPiK-L.jpg

Heads up!
    435171003_Ltk4o-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2009
    Fad2blk wrote:
    TYKEMAMA: What a great shot, she is adorable. I looked through your others too, very nice.

Thanks, Fad2blk!
    ___
    www.kimberlyteichrow.com

• Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    i hereby offically close the unoffical challengethumb.gif

i will get to the judging and announce tomorrow night the winner.wings.gif
    Aaron Nelson