Point and Shoot repair question

future_perfectfuture_perfect Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
edited May 20, 2009 in Cameras
I have a Canon Powershot SX110 that I purchased not long ago. Sadly, it got dropped today while on and lost the battle with the floor. The lens must have been knocked off-kilter and will no longer retract into the camera. Is it possible to repair something like this, or must the entire camera be replaced?

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    Firstly.....Is it out of warranty??? If so then repairs can cost nearly as much as a new P/S.......If not then send it in and see what mfg'er says about fixing it.............it will only cost a bit of money for stamps of upsne_nau.gifthumbthumb.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• future_perfectfuture_perfect Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    Thanks. It's been under a year since I purchased it, but since dropping it was clearly a user error it doesn't look like it's covered under the Canon warranty. Maybe I'll ask at a local camera store, but it's not looking good.
  • boblinboblin Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    Depending on how you paid for it, some credit cards offer an accidental breakage coverage that is usually good for one year or an additional period equal to the manufacturer's warranty.
    Some Cameras
    Some lenses
    Some extra gear
    Some willing and unwilling subjects to photograph.
  • mud390mud390 Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    Try at your own risk...
    I dropped my older Canon point and shoot multiple times causing the same problem you have. Of course, mine was well out of warranty. I "fixed" mine twice. I'm clumsy. The third time was it's demise. This is going to sound bad, but here's what I did. When the lens is extended get a good grip on the body of the camera. Firmly apply pressure to the lens in the direction that would put it back in it's correct track. You will hear a snap as it pops back in. The down side is, sometimes the lens will hang up on power up and down or occasionally the focus would be way off. A simple turn off and turn on usually fixed that. I wouldn't do any of this until you exhaust the warranty avenue. Best of luck!

Kris
  • future_perfectfuture_perfect Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    Thanks everyone. Sent it to Canon through a local repair place and they were able to fix it for significantly less than the cost of replacing it. I haven't gotten a chance to really use it and make sure everything works perfectly yet, but it looks good so far.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,081 moderator
    edited May 20, 2009
    Thanks everyone. Sent it to Canon through a local repair place and they were able to fix it for significantly less than the cost of replacing it. I haven't gotten a chance to really use it and make sure everything works perfectly yet, but it looks good so far.

Wonderful news and thanks for keeping us informed. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums