Another brick in the wall.....

R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
edited May 22, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Hi, Just got back from the UK - had a few days in the Lake District - still amazed by the extent and workmanship in all the dry stone walls. This one has been around for a while judging by all the lichen on it.

3530938970_31ef74c3c5_b.jpg

Would also appreciate any comment on this one - it is my first attempt! Does it 'do anything'? Should I have left it as pure B&W?

3531039924_efb5bcb74d_b.jpg

Thanks for looking - C&C always welcome.
Cheers, Richard.

Comments

• AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    Hi Richard..... I like the second one the best.... I believe it would be a stronger composition if you had one yellow rock instead of two.
    Odd numbers make for better composition than even numbers. Two of what ever tends to divide your attention. thumb.gif azzaro
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    Hi Richard. I agree with Azzaro though I didn't realize why until he explained the "rule". I didn't see the little green plant in either image till I looked a second or third time. I'd like to see a crop that would make it more prominent (maybe the only colorized element). Alternatively, I think if you colorized three or four of the rocks immediately adjacent to the right of the presently colored rock on the left as well as the round rock and left the other round rock and the plant B&W, it might be more pleasing. (Hope that ramble makes sense.)

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    Azzaro wrote:
    Hi Richard..... I like the second one the best.... I believe it would be a stronger composition if you had one yellow rock instead of two.
    Odd numbers make for better composition than even numbers. Two of what ever tends to divide your attention. thumb.gif azzaro
    Hi Azzaro - good advice - I guess it is a case of less is more.
    Cheers, Richard.
    edited May 15, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    Hi Richard. I agree with Azzaro though I didn't realize why until he explained the "rule". I didn't see the little green plant in either image till I looked a second or third time. I'd like to see a crop that would make it more prominent (maybe the only colorized element). Alternatively, I think if you colorized three or four of the rocks immediately adjacent to the right of the presently colored rock on the left as well as the round rock and left the other round rock and the plant B&W, it might be more pleasing. (Hope that ramble makes sense.)
    Hi Jack, Like you hunting for the 'stinging nettle' plant - it took me a couple of reads to understand what you were getting at.:D Spreading things out does divide the attention. Thanks for your feedback - i'll give your suggestions a go.
    Cheers, Richard.
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    Neat texture shot. Somebody went to some effort to build it.
    Personally I wouldn't selective color with it at all.
    IMHO doesn't do the image justice. :D
    But thats just me.
    Michael
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    R.Jay wrote:
    Hi, Just got back from the UK - had a few days in the Lake District - still amazed by the extent and workmanship in all the dry stone walls. This one has been around for a while judging by all the lichen on it.

Would also appreciate any comment on this one - it is my first attempt! Does it 'do anything'? Should I have left it as pure B&W?

Thanks for looking - C&C always welcome.
    Cheers, Richard.

Hi Richard,

I too prefer the colour shot over the B&W+S.
    I think the orginal shot looks great the way it is thumb.gif

.... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited May 15, 2009
    DaddyO wrote:
    Neat texture shot. Somebody went to some effort to build it.
    Personally I wouldn't selective color with it at all.
    IMHO doesn't do the image justice. :D
    But thats just me.
    Hi DaddyO, I liked the overall B&W texture as well - perhaps I will leave it untouched - or as Azzaro suggested - just one rock. The history of these stone walls is quite interesting - I think they are as a 'consequence' of the Irish potato famine (1845-1852). No food/work in Ireland - thousands went to England and built dry stone walls.
    Cheers, Richard.
    edited May 15, 2009
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi Richard,

I too prefer the colour shot over the B&W+S.
    I think the orginal shot looks great the way it is thumb.gif

.... Skippy :D
    Hi Skippy - thanks for your feedback - the lichen certainly adds to the overall colouring.
    Cheers, Richard.
  • MilanMilan Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2009
    I like the first one.
  • Slinky0390Slinky0390 Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2009
    I really like the first one, as I am not a fan of selective color. I was cleaning up my lightroom catalogue and just couldn't help myself :D

268838436_E96H9-XL.jpg
    click the image for EXIF
    Canon eos 30d; EF 17-40 f/4.0L; EF 24-85mm f/3.5; EF 50mm f/1.4; EF 70-200mm f/4.0L; Unicorns of various horn lenghts
    http://slinky0390.smugmug.com
    edited May 19, 2009
    Milan wrote:
    I like the first one.
    Hi Milan - thanks for your feedback - I think #1 is coming out ahead.
    Cheers, Richard
    edited May 19, 2009
    Slinky0390 wrote:
    I really like the first one, as I am not a fan of selective color. I was cleaning up my lightroom catalogue and just couldn't help myself :D

click the image for EXIF

Hi Slinky - thanks for your feedback. I had only just learnt how to do selective so it was my first attempt - probably not the best shot to try it out on. I like the overall texture in 'your' wall.:D
    Cheers, Richard.
  • Slinky0390Slinky0390 Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    R.Jay wrote:
    Hi Slinky - thanks for your feedback. I had only just learnt how to do selective so it was my first attempt - probably not the best shot to try it out on. I like the overall texture in 'your' wall.:D
    Cheers, Richard.

Selective color can be very successful, especially with shots for occasions such as a wedding or prom. I like doing something sort of like selective color, but instead of making the photo black and white, I mute all the colors that I don't want so they appear super dull, but they are still in color. I'll see if i can find an example.
    Canon eos 30d; EF 17-40 f/4.0L; EF 24-85mm f/3.5; EF 50mm f/1.4; EF 70-200mm f/4.0L; Unicorns of various horn lenghts
    http://slinky0390.smugmug.com