Taconic "Mountain" Range

Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
edited May 29, 2009 in Landscapes
"The Taconic Range is the low range of pleasantly wooded hills that runs along the western border of the New England States, separating them from the Hudson Valley of New York." The highest peak in the range is about 4000 ft. (Not much of a mountain by most standards but it's darned pretty). This past weekend I spent several days on Long Island (NY) for my grandaughter's birthday party. After the hustle and bustle of metropolitan New York, I decided to avoid the three hour Interstae Highway trip home and instead opted for a 10 hour 180 mile photo meander on lesser roads through eastern NY state and western Connecticut/Massachusetts. The scenery here is breathtaking, not in the way that some of the high peaks in the west are, but in a very laid back rural New England style. Here are some of the images from that trip. (More to come).
C&C welcome of course.

1. Solitude

536366839_X7kJM-L.jpg

2. Serenity

536262844_GSzrL-L.jpg

3. Seclusion

535902675_hphtg-L.jpg

Jack
(My real name is John but Jack'll do)

Comments

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    I always opt out for the long way to and from a destination. Nothing is better then the backroads.

Your first photo is my favorite. It shows the solitude of the country. I don't know if it's actually a house someone lives in or not, but I'd live there :D
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    And you didn't wave as you went by? lol3.gif
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    these are great Jack! i love how #2 has amazing depth, and i love how there is an opening to the sky right above.

clap.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    I always opt out for the long way to and from a destination. Nothing is better then the backroads.

Your first photo is my favorite. It shows the solitude of the country. I don't know if it's actually a house someone lives in or not, but I'd live there :D

Hi Mary Kim. This is definitely my kind of living space (maybe with a little addition on it :D ). Not that I'm anti-social or anything... I just like my peace and quiet and "breathing space".

Jack
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    Nice series, Jack. #2 is definitely my favorite!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    Jack,

Nice shots thumb.gif

I like the solitude of the first, and the view point of the second.
    Randy
  • digidronedigidrone Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    Beautiful work Jack!
    edited May 14, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    And you didn't wave as you went by? lol3.gif

rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

Jack
    edited May 14, 2009
    these are great Jack! i love how #2 has amazing depth, and i love how there is an opening to the sky right above.

clap.gif

Thanks for the nice comments Aaron, much appreciated. The view in #2 is westward from just inside massachusetts looking over the Hudson River valley. The mountains in the distance are the Catskills in NY.

Jack
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    I really like the second shot, I actually think the mostly centered composition works well.
    edited May 15, 2009
    redleash wrote:
    Nice series, Jack. #2 is definitely my favorite!

Thanks Lauren. The image unfortunately doesn't do justice to view as seen in person. It was well worth the rather strenuous climb to the promontory.

Jack
    edited May 16, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Jack,

Nice shots thumb.gif

I like the solitude of the first, and the view point of the second.

Thanks Randy. The sense of solitude is even greater in real life as the road I shot from is only very lightly traveled.

Jack
  • rusticrustic Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2009
    Nice set Jack! I used to live in Williamstown and passed through there many times. Where exactly is the second one taken from?

One more year and I'll be heading back that way...
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2009
    clap.gif azzaro
    edited May 17, 2009
    digidrone wrote:
    Beautiful work Jack!

Thanks for looking and for the nice comment Royce.

Jack
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2009
    Hi Jack,
    I just stumbled upon these shots....really beautiful. They sure stir up the urge in me to head up to the Blueridge Mountains. When one loves the subject matter, it comes through in the pictures one takes. Very nice work.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2009
    These are gorgeous Jack, and I agree with Aaron on #2 clap.gifclapclap.gif
    edited May 17, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    I really like the second shot, I actually think the mostly centered composition works well.

Thanks Ron much appreciated. Relative to the composition, I didn't have much choice from the precarious perch I had climbed. :D

Jack
    edited May 17, 2009
    rustic wrote:
    Nice set Jack! I used to live in Williamstown and passed through there many times. Where exactly is the second one taken from?

One more year and I'll be heading back that way...

Thanks Rustic. This shot was taken from the "scenic overlook" in Bash Bish Falls State Park in the town of Mt. Washington Mass (southwest of Great Barrington). The overlook is reached by a climb from the eastern most parking area.

Jack
    edited May 29, 2009
    Thanks for looking and the nice comments Azzaro, Tom, and Dan. Sorry it took so long to acknowledge your posts. Been busy tending the property and diddlin' around over on "Other Cool Shots". Forgot I posted this one.

Jack
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    Nice series!
    I'd lighten up that distant triangle of landscape in the center to make it a little more realistic looking. Despite that nit, the second is my favorite of these.
    edited May 29, 2009
    dseidman wrote:
    Nice series!
    I'd lighten up that distant triangle of landscape in the center to make it a little more realistic looking. Despite that nit, the second is my favorite of these.

Thanks for looking Danny. Actually the distant valley was in fact much darker than the hills in the foreground.

Jack