Dss #25 c&c

dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
edited May 14, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
I am not crazy about any of these, it isn't what I wanted. However this is what I have and I am running out of time. Any suggestions? Toss them all?

The Lake is flooded and the shoreline is pretty foul with all the debris...
536380205_brGeK-L.jpg

and Vultures... they are what they are.

536380174_YrZ5s-L.jpg

I kind like the last one because of the location it was taken. Yes, that is a real sign and a real pond. The story behind it is questionable, likely just folklore.
536380190_gZ4NW-L.jpg

Comments

• swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    Well, the focus seems off on the bottom two to me. The top one would be much more interesting in B&W in my opinion. Push the contrast a bit and it could really pop.
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    I agree
    I agree.. you have some focus issues here in these..

the first one would work for foul more if it had been shot from above showing us the stuff in the pond. however you did a good job with thirds here making the stuff in the water the focus.. maybe process some dingy brown into it.?

#2, the focus is too off to submit..

# 3 has potential for the theme. Crop right below his feet and on both #3 and #1, you need to grungy it up a bit in color... # 3 especially is good but dead woman pond is very bright and lit up and this counters the effect of foul..

hope that helps..thumb.gif

do you have any thing else?

how about the local dump or landfill or something like that?

Kat
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    Well, the focus seems off on the bottom two to me. The top one would be much more interesting in B&W in my opinion. Push the contrast a bit and it could really pop.

Thanks!
    :) yea, probably is OOF, and a bit too much cropping. I shot these before I knew what the theme was and just haven't been able to get anything I liked. (Darn vultures are not very co-operative) I did try #1 in B&W and it just went flat. I will try working the contrast and see if that helps.
    edited May 14, 2009
    I agree.. you have some focus issues here in these..

the first one would work for foul more if it had been shot from above showing us the stuff in the pond. however you did a good job with thirds here making the stuff in the water the focus.. maybe process some dingy brown into it.?
    :) I got a couple looking down at the water only, but they just didn't turn out. It was a hard day for getting anything that day.
    #2, the focus is too off to submit..

I Agree... the cropping really made it worse
    # 3 has potential for the theme. Crop right below his feet and on both #3 and #1, you need to grungy it up a bit in color... # 3 especially is good but dead woman pond is very bright and lit up and this counters the effect of foul..
    I too like #3, but had a hard time getting detail in the vulture and keeping the background from becoming too bright. (No photoshop on this computer, just the freebies and me tring to make them work)
    hope that helps..thumb.gif
    Thanks Kat!
    do you have any thing else?

how about the local dump or landfill or something like that?

Kat
    Not really... still watching constantly. I got pictures of my niece hoping for "fair". Still wasn't quite what I want.
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    Need to bring in some road kill and set up near the sign it goes well with the theme
    Do you know where the vultures roost, if you can catch them early morning before they make the rounds. I thought of these guys when this topic came up because of the following shot.
    But I would never be able to duplicate it probably. Staking out a dead skunk not my idea of fun. I was shooting a bridge this just happen to be going on nearby.
    Very foul
    536567371_JHLCu-M.jpg
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    While I was in Mexico i took some interesting shots of similar vultures sitting on some dry tree branches
    - in the sunset it's better...mwink.gif

Just try different versions/possibilities.
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
    edited May 14, 2009
    Need to bring in some road kill
    :D I have been searching for the good road kill/vulture picture. I have some old ones that are great. The only one I have been able to get was too far away for a good picture. I had never thought of taking the roadkill to them. Don't know if I could handle it... then again, I could catch a fish and leave it there for them. That's what these were after. ok... the wheels are turning. I may have to recrut my brothers help with this one. rolleyes1.gif
    :puke1 and I did smell a skunk yesterday and thought now that is foul! I couldn't find him though, probably best I didn't.

Thanks everyone for the ideas and comments. I at least feel encouraged to go look for more. I was ready to give up. Thanks!