Deception Pass

mpriest13mpriest13 Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
edited May 15, 2009 in Landscapes
Can anyone help process this photo? It seems a little to greyish blue but I am having a hard time getting it to look right.

DSC_0417.jpg

Comments

• dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    Well, it would have been easier to shoot it using an ND grad filter so the foreground wasn't so dark. :D

Did you shoot it as a raw file? If so, open it up in PS, expose for the foreground and adjust your WB so the blue tint is gone. Open that file, save it as a tif, then open the raw file again and expose for the sky. Paste that onto the tif file, add a layer mask, and grab a brush and start painting to match the two exposures.

Like I said, it's almost always a timesaver to get a shot like this right in camera and you won't be able to do that without a ND grad filter.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    My interpretation of it is that the color balance is not very far off. The sunlit part is fine, it looks believable for late afternoon daylight white balance. That might be why you're having a hard time with it: Half the photo is not wrong, so the part that's right will be made wrong if you make a uniform adjustment. The bluish tint only appears in the shadows, which might be explained by something every painting student is taught: The shadow of warm light is cool. In Lightroom or Camera Raw I might try a single angled graduated mask that changes the Color parameter to warm up the shadow, or in Photoshop a single Photo Filter adjustment that adds warmth, with a graduated mask at an angle.

Here's a 30-second Photoshop try at it. I left the daylight part untouched, and changed only color, not lightness. Of course you can warm it up any other way or degree you like...

537081513_xx9Y2-O.jpg