A Few Family Pictures...

rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
edited May 16, 2009 in People
I don't usually post family photos, but we were at a local park this last week end and I took some that I kind of like.
I would appreciate your thoughts on how to improve them!!

Thanks, Ron

536473220_cud2F-L.jpg

536473823_7jqpP-L.jpg

536474148_eA2xB-L-1.jpg

536474939_ukgdd-L-1.jpg

536476324_SsQyp-L-1.jpg

536490763_GDjEc-L-1.jpg

536479193_ksdHJ-L-3.jpg
"The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95

Comments

• bl4scottbl4scott Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    Hello to Spokane..... FINCH
    ront wrote:
    I don't usually post family photos, but we were at a local park this last week end and I took some that I kind of like.
    I would appreciate your thoughts on how to improve them!!

Thanks, Ron

I have shot many times from this tree and the lighting can be tricky... You really need a reflector or a flash to fill in the harsh shadows on their faces. Try bring a small ladder or stool to get yourself a closer level to your subjects. One of the shots, the legs took ackward, maybe the lens, wide angle?

Just my thoughts....

Brian
  • noeltykaynoeltykay Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    Brian has some good points...when shooting under tress be careful of shadows. Using a reflector is key. Quite frankly I would have waited until later in the day, or found a more shaded tree.
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    You guys are correct. I am fairly new to this and don't have a reflector yet and this just happened to be the time of day that we were there. We did not go just to take family pictures. Maybe using more flash would have been better also??
    What do you think of the compositions. Are they ok?

Thanks, Ron

Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • noeltykaynoeltykay Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    The composition in the first one would have worked much better if you could see the person who is closest to frame right. I might have had the person in the black on the left seated on the trunk, the person in the middle exactly where she is, and the person being blocked sitting/leaning against the tree trunk on the right.

Second one does not do much for me...limbs are cutoff, subjects are looking at something outside of the frame.

Third shot, too much space at top.

I like the idea in the forth shot but the person in the tree gets a bit lost due to shadows. The subject at the botton is also not looking at the camera. Might work better if she was actually looking at the camera.

Fifth shot would have benefited from a reflector, but the composition is good.

Sixth...trash can is a bit distracting. Might have been a bit of an improvement if you had been shooting level with the subjects rather than from below. Not a bad shot.

Last one is nice, but again, shadows.

So, next time you shoot in a park look for the most shade you can find. Look for interesting backgrounds. Try to use a reflector or fill flash. Most of all, have fun!

Here are some shots I recently took for a client in a park. I met the clients about an hour and a half before sunset and shot for an hour with three different wardrobe changes. I left my reflector at home, but used fill flash in some of the shots.

531345031_4FGmc-M-1.jpg

531362306_75qzf-M-1.jpg

531352563_Y3b28-M-1.jpg

531355420_vCZ4d-M-1.jpg
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    Thanks a lot for the input noeltykay!! I really appreciate it! Lighting is certainly an issue here.

Ron

• joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2009
    one observation about #2.

the bright sky is causing a back lit situation. I always shoot RAW and adjust the exposure for the skin, which, in this case is too dark.
  • lyttlevietlyttleviet Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited May 16, 2009
    noeltykay wrote:
    The composition in the first one would have worked much better if you could see the person who is closest to frame right. I might have had the person in the black on the left seated on the trunk, the person in the middle exactly where she is, and the person being blocked sitting/leaning against the tree trunk on the right.

Second one does not do much for me...limbs are cutoff, subjects are looking at something outside of the frame.

Third shot, too much space at top.

I like the idea in the forth shot but the person in the tree gets a bit lost due to shadows. The subject at the botton is also not looking at the camera. Might work better if she was actually looking at the camera.

Fifth shot would have benefited from a reflector, but the composition is good.

Sixth...trash can is a bit distracting. Might have been a bit of an improvement if you had been shooting level with the subjects rather than from below. Not a bad shot.

Last one is nice, but again, shadows.

So, next time you shoot in a park look for the most shade you can find. Look for interesting backgrounds. Try to use a reflector or fill flash. Most of all, have fun!

Here are some shots I recently took for a client in a park. I met the clients about an hour and a half before sunset and shot for an hour with three different wardrobe changes. I left my reflector at home, but used fill flash in some of the shots.

Is your fill off camera shoe flash with a shoot through umbrella? It looks Very nice.