MC4 - a new idea for C&C

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited May 15, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
I will preface this by saying that

1. I had this idea a few days ago, but it required my husband to be able to come with me (no WAY was I going to shoot in the dark without somebody to ride shotgun!!)

2. The vantage point on offer had a whole bunch of foreground obstructions, thus limiting angles. I would have walked around looking for alternatives except....

3. it started to pour - DELUGE - almost as soon as I got the tripod set up. I managed to get 6 shots (1 of which I must have bumped the tripod since it was a blurry mess) before it was raining too hard to risk the camera any longer (I was holding my jacket over it for all of these).

That said....

"Volts for Jolts"
536732816_DL4dA-L.jpg

Reshooting is pretty unlikely, unfortunately.

Does this completely suck as merely representational rather than interesting and/or artistic, or does it work? :scratch

Comments

• dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    personally, I like it, The theme is sure there, you have the power of the lit sign plus the implication of power from the sugar rush. I like the blue to the right, it gives my eye something else to travel to and the lights below give it something to stand on.
    The only thing I would maybe do is clone out the blue window in the sign itself.
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    I agree
    I agree, I like it too.. definitely clean up that blue window.

hey neon is not bad... I am going to shoot some this weekend in Nashville...and already shot an old theater... so if it is done right then I think it works...

Nice clean shot here too..

Kat
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    I do like that better than the first idea. Love the neon
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    And.... another version. Man, this one was tricky to process - the rain (or long exposure) messed with it so there was ghosting and all sorts of weird light refraction going on!

Anyway, version 2:

537022864_QjfLh-L.jpg

The foreground is a problem, but I kind of like the stars, so figured I'd try leaving it in this time. Not convinced, but....

I'm going to try to get back there tonight but it's a real longshot, so I may just have to make one of the ones I have work.
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    537022864_QjfLh-S.jpg

very nice comp. i can see details with this one, yaaah!, much better IMHO.

Your FG (though kinda crazy but not in a bad way) adds depth to your scene
    Aaron Nelson
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    I really like the B&W version. It adds a nice retro-flair to the composition. The lights in the foreground don't bother me at all. Your exposure looks spot-on because I can see detail in the buildings. Nice! thumb.gif
    edited May 15, 2009
    Looks Good
    Looks good Diva.. I have to say I really like all of the added buildings and the lights...

I figured you would pull something together... Nice!thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

Kat
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    Thanks all. I did a bit more dodging, burning and cleaning up and, for better or worse, posted it - I'm out of town tomorrow and I know by the time I get back on Sunday I'll likely be too tired to remember to post, so I just had to get it done tonight!

I'm just sorry I didn't have some decent weather last night, or time to head back down there again this evening - after two weeks of emptyheaded nothing, NOW I have all sorts of ideas for how to shoot this scene. It's famous enough, of course, but this is from a somewhat different perspective than the usual shot, and I'd have loved some time to play with it properly! Ah well... thanks for the feedback! thumb.gif
    edited May 15, 2009
    Looks Good
    Best of luck to you in the competition... and have a safe journey out of town...

Katthumb.gif