First-time Event Photo gig

JoeMNIJoeMNI Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
edited May 15, 2009 in People
Hi all,

I'm basically an amateur nature photographer, but I've got a chance to shoot an event for some extra cash. It is informal. They just want as many fly-on-the-wall photos to document the event as possible and maybe a few small-group portraits.

I'm limited on time, budget, gear, and experience.

Here are a few other problems I forsee:

1.The room has high, dark ceilings (can't bounce the flash).
2.I can use a tripod, but it will be inconvenient to move with (limited space).
3.I've got one wireless remote flash, & my on-camera pop-up. (No lightstands!)

Anyone know of any good tips or articles that can help with shooting with such limitations?:dunno What CHEAP (-$200), quick-to-get gear could I add to my bag that could help?

Thanks for any input!

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    JoeMNI wrote:
    Hi all,

I'm basically an amateur nature photographer, but I've got a chance to shoot an event for some extra cash. It is informal. They just want as many fly-on-the-wall photos to document the event as possible and maybe a few small-group portraits.

I'm limited on time, budget, gear, and experience.

Here are a few other problems I forsee:

1.The room has high, dark ceilings (can't bounce the flash).
    2.I can use a tripod, but it will be inconvenient to move with (limited space).
    3.I've got one wireless remote flash, & my on-camera pop-up. (No lightstands!)

Anyone know of any good tips or articles that can help with shooting with such limitations?ne_nau.gif What CHEAP (-$200), quick-to-get gear could I add to my bag that could help?

Thanks for any input!

I shot a ton of various events, indoors and outdoors, but I can't really help you much unless you describe what you already have, what type of event that is and what is expected of you. ne_nau.gif

In any case - forget the tripod, I can tell you that much. mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    wireless remote flash? you mean a speedlight?
    tripod will be pretty much useless. If this is a night time event with your typical poor lighting..you will basically need a standard type zoom somewhere between 18-70mm range and f/2.8, a flash, and flash diffuser (better bounce card, light scoop, gary fong sphere, etc).

keep your f stop > f/4 and you shutter speed faster then say 1/60s and iso high enough to get you there.

That's it.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • JoeMNIJoeMNI Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    Thanks Qarik. Yea, I like the diffuser/light scoop idea. I checked out the Gary Fong Sphere. It looks like a good product. I might get one to try out for myself first, but a 360 degree flash might be too distracting to other guests. I've got a sto-fen, but I don't know if it will be wide enough for the group shots. I'm leaning towards a mini lightbox for my speedlight, handheld off-camera.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    JoeMNI wrote:
    Thanks Qarik. Yea, I like the diffuser/light scoop idea. I checked out the Gary Fong Sphere. It looks like a good product. I might get one to try out for myself first, but a 360 degree flash might be too distracting to other guests. I've got a sto-fen, but I don't know if it will be wide enough for the group shots. I'm leaning towards a mini lightbox for my speedlight, handheld off-camera.

I can tell you through much expereince that the fong will not be much a distraction. The issue with the stofen is that it is still "too small" a diffuser imo and can still leave a lot os shadows.

A small softbox type diffuser hand held off camer could work but I like to hold the camera with 2 hands for a long event.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com