1st Senior Shoot

SpydawebbSpydawebb Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
edited May 17, 2009 in People
I did my first Senior shoot recently. I ran into some challenges in that because she is on the heavy side, she only wanted basic head and shoulders type shots. She also decided the day of the shoot that she didn't want to do pics at her church and not at the park that we originally decided on.

Let me know what you think, and what I could have done differently.

522536966_v8f8H-L.jpg
522539738_F6BUY-L.jpg
536007714_gCcXW-L.jpg
522534115_pZgaF-L.jpg
536007202_5fJx4-L.jpg

Comments

• b08rsab08rsa Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    Shot #3 looked the best to me.

Ron A.
    Sony A7ii, Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens, Sony FE85mm f/1.8 Lens, Sony FE 28-70 mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Lens, Godox 860iiS Flash.
  • junglejimjunglejim Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    I like the expression of #2 best by far. I'm not sure how senior portraitish it comes across but it is the picture I would keep of my kid.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    overall better then average for sure. I think the vignetting is over done in the 1st shot and teh last shot is somewhat soft. I think #2 is th best out of the bunch
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • SpydawebbSpydawebb Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    Thanks all for the comments. I think #3 looks soft because of me. She has quite a bit of acne, and I was trying to lessen it by applying a Gaussian blur, but it does look like I went a little too far.

Any suggestions on how best to tackle this type of problem?
  • LivingLargeLivingLarge Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    Looks great, your exposure is very close to perfect. Most importantly, your subject appears to be comfortable with you. This is VERY important. Always allow for some change in setting to help her feel better.

As a gentle reminder, remember to "short light" almost all females and especially heavy set females. Looks like you were working with natural light so try to place subject so that main source comes across her face instead of directly into her face or chest. The more the light is feathered across her face, the slimmer she will appear. Remember to turn her body away from light, to tilt her head and get her to smile:D
    “He who works with his hands is a laborer.
    He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman.
    He who works with his hands and his head and his heartis an artist.”
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2009
    Nice Set

My favs are #2 & #3.

Thanks for posting
    Chuck
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2009
    this is just a taste issue, but if you are desaturating, I like it all the way to about where #3 is or not at all. #1 just looks somewhere in between which just looks washed out to me.

ONe thing you did well as get a variety of expressions. smiles are nice; variety is better.

#4 (by the way, it would help if the pics were numbered) seems a little flashy to me. the light is similar to #2, but, I don't know, #2 looks better.
    edited May 16, 2009
    Thanks everyone for the comments. Pics are now numbered. I will definitely keep all these great suggestions in mind in the future.
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2009
    Spydawebb wrote:
    Thanks everyone for the comments. Pics are now numbered. I will definitely keep all these great suggestions in mind in the future.

I'm liking number one...just something about her face and your capture. Very nice work.

Thanks for sharing.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
    edited May 17, 2009
    Thanks Ed. I appreciate the comment.