Suggestions for a Macro Lens?

Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
edited May 19, 2009 in Holy Macro
hmm... its time I start getting better at Macro stuff, because I mainly just shoot portraits. So, I need some suggestions on a good "starter" macro lens.

I was thinking the 100 f/2.8 USM Macro but if theres something better let me know (fyi I shoot with a Canon 50D - for a more detailed list of my gear check out my gear thread *link in sig*)
Jer

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    Nice thing about macro lenses is it's hard to find one that is not optically excellent.
    The canon 100mm is the most popular for canon shooters.
    I'd recommend that any lens around 100mm is a good place to start. So alternatives would be the Tamron 90, Tokina 100 and sigma 105, all are optically excellent and vary a bit in AF speed and whether they extend when focusing (the canon does not). Have to say barrel extension and AF have never bothered me as I always use MF for macro and normally preset the maginification and focus by moving the camera.

Brian v.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2009
    hmm... its time I start getting better at Macro stuff, because I mainly just shoot portraits. So, I need some suggestions on a good "starter" macro lens.

I was thinking the 100 f/2.8 USM Macro but if theres something better let me know (fyi I shoot with a Canon 50D - for a more detailed list of my gear check out my gear thread *link in sig*)

Hi Jeremy the Canon 100 F2.8 USM Macro is a beautiful lens to use.
    It's very sharp, easy to use, and also works well with Extension TUBES.

You are also not restricted to just MACRO with that lens.

A great way to get a good idea of what this lens is capable of,
    is to go over towww.pbase.com and do a search on the lens your interested in.

You will find thousands of images taken by all kinds of people with all different levels of their photographic skills.

The link below will take you to the Canon 100mm F2.3 USM MACRO images

http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/ef_100_28_macro_u

.... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2009
    ok, heres another question...

What macro lens do you guys use most often? aka which one is your favorite?

don't worry about the price of it, just tell me your favorite. I won't be buying a macro lens for a while so I might as well get a good one when I do.

I was looking at some of the pictures taken with the 100 f/2.8, and I don't really like them a whole lot. They're not at sharp or vivid as I expected. But thats probably photog error or PP slacking...
    Jer
  • jaxjax Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2009
    I use a 20 dollar 28mm lens most often. :D
  • rhermansrhermans Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2009
    I use a kiron 105mm f2.8 from 1980 most, else a (pentax fa) 50mm with bellows.

Probably not the answer you wanted.
    best regards

Ronny
  • JetCrocodileJetCrocodile Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2009
    I use Sigma 150 mm 2.8 macro and Nikon 50mm reversed directly to the camera body.

I would say that second (poor man macro) is a bit more sharp.
    Regards,

Sven

ok, heres another question...

What macro lens do you guys use most often? aka which one is your favorite?

don't worry about the price of it, just tell me your favorite. I won't be buying a macro lens for a while so I might as well get a good one when I do.

I was looking at some of the pictures taken with the 100 f/2.8, and I don't really like them a whole lot. They're not at sharp or vivid as I expected. But thats probably photog error or PP slacking...
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited May 19, 2009
    canon 100mm macro used about equal with mpe-65.
    depends what im shooting and magnification i want to compose!
    phil
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/goldenorfe/