Theater- back up plan

KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
edited May 17, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Here is my back up plan in case the other stuff I am shooting this weekend does not pan out.. I shot this old theater called The Capri, one of the few old theaters left in the US. I could not get the full effect I wanted, because it is an old time theater in the small town of Shelbyville,TN and in order to cut back on costs they are only turning on the lower lights.. but I did the best I could.. So, if I cannot get the other ideas I have to work, then I will enter one of these.. Which one turned out best on the post process and has the most potential?

oh, and yes, I blacked out the windows in some of them because it was difficult to get a shot without the cars reflecting in the window, does that look too odd?
and also, the lettering on the movie selection screen, is like that because it is old and worn out, that is how it looks originally..

Thanks Kat
Theater #1
537030066_XJpHU-XL.jpg

Theater #2

537029817_SNnXN-XL.jpg

Theater #3

537029624_22bcg-XL.jpg

Theater #4

537029447_vZw3B-XL.jpg

Which one is best? or are they all a bomb..?

Kat

Comments

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    your backup is nicer than my main:cry (currently):D

blacked out windows worked well imo.
    Aaron Nelson
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    Thanks Aaron
    I was worried about the black windows...I am sure your main is good.. Where is it?ne_nau.gif I have not seen it on the board, did I miss it? you should share.. :D

Kat
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    It actually would make sense to have blacked out windows in a movie theatre... tinted at least. I don't think I would have noticed if you hadn't mentioned it.

Have you tried it as a pano, cropping above the marquee and the street, then to the sides of the theatre?
    edited May 15, 2009
    Pano
    Well, I have never done a pano before... I think I know how. I have a stitching program that came with my canon.. problem is, this is the only one lit up at this hour, the rest are mostly dark and shut down... good idea though..

Kat
    edited May 15, 2009
    Can you just do a manuel crop and crop to those lines? Thats's what I do a lot if I didn't plan pano, but have wasted space crop and bottom. I don't know what your editing software has...
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    thumb.gif Love the colors in #2. The only thing I'd change about that one is to crop out the car on the far right. Lovely shot!
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    #2 Yes, but, somehow I personally would like to see some more action there... some people, maybe...?
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
    edited May 15, 2009
    thank you
    thank you for the comments.. Linda I favor #2 as well... and #3..

I burned in #2 selectively by hand to see if I could get the color variations..

oh........... photobug, your sooo picky... that's a good thing though...rolleyes1.gif, you do havea point, people pouring out of there would add to the energy.

Problem is this is a very small church ran
    and dry county town... There are never many people..

well ok.. as with every town, there are always people at the Walmart..
    maybe I will go shoot the Walmart? ha ha.... no seriously, I am getting desperate here.

Still did not get that sunset zoom shot yet... no sun,, only haze again..hopefully it will sunny up before the weekend is over..

Kat
    edited May 16, 2009
    Still did not get that sunset zoom shot yet... no sun,, only haze again..hopefully it will sunny up before the weekend is over..
    Kat

I know how you feel about the weather.gerg.gif It rained here for 2 weeks and we have more storms coming tonight.
    I came upon 2 hills close together today and the way the clouds were blocking the sun it looked interesting, one lit, one not. I found myself grabbing for the camera, shouting, "Clouds stop!" rolleyes1.gif gee, wonder why they didn't listen to me...rolleyes1.gif
    edited May 17, 2009
    Rainstick
    well. maybe you need an Indian rain stick... You know it still has not given up on the gloom and rain and storms here, had to shoot last night in itgerg.gif....at least it let up for a short while..:smo

Kat
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2009
    I like #2, Kat! thumb.gif

The only nit I have is that the lettering for the movie titles gets a little washed out in some places... and chance you can layer some of those back in?
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited May 17, 2009
    Thanks
    Thanks Chris.. appreciate the comment... on the layering with the letters.. I tried, it is difficult because of the way it glows. I have some other choices I am working to post later this evening to get some opinions if I don't run out of time...

Kat