Options

Sorting by Date Taken and Filename does not work.

DsweetDsweet Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
edited May 23, 2009 in Bug Reporting
I may take 200 pictures at a track meet, several of them within tenths of seconds of each other. The files are named sequentially. Both, sorting by “date taken” or filename does not work. It is close, but always gets a number of pictures out of order. As a result, I spend lots of time manually ordering them. What a pain. Please fix it.

Comments

• Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 18, 2009
    I was just looking at another users problem with this exact same issue.

The problem is that when you sort by date/time, we have to take the information given. In the case of the photos I was just looking at, 2 photos were out of order. Both of them had the following information:

2009-05-07 17:35:18

If you have 2 photos with that exact same information on it, how would you sort them? headscratch.gif

You might want to consider auto-sorting by filenames. I have my Lightroom editor setup to merge the Image number and the filename so that situations like this can be handled. I also shoot some things rapid fire on rare occasions and saw this with my own photos.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2009
    docwalker wrote:
    I was just looking at another users problem with this exact same issue.

The problem is that when you sort by date/time, we have to take the information given. In the case of the photos I was just looking at, 2 photos were out of order. Both of them had the following information:

If you have 2 photos with that exact same information on it, how would you sort them? headscratch.gif

You might want to consider auto-sorting by filenames. I have my Lightroom editor setup to merge the Image number and the filename so that situations like this can be handled. I also shoot some things rapid fire on rare occasions and saw this with my own photos.

Fair enough, but I can't get sort by filename to work either.
    And I guess, in a tie, I think filename (ascending) would be the tie breaker.
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2009
    Dsweet wrote:
    Fair enough, but I can't get sort by filename to work either.
    And I guess, in a tie, I think filename (ascending) would be the tie breaker.

I was using the "sort by filename" in the arrange page and it doesn't work. However the "sort by filename" from the sort menu does work, so I will use that instead.