Options

Getting Sizing Right

ScootersbabygirlScootersbabygirl Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
edited May 15, 2009 in Technique
Hey guys - thanks in advance for ANY advice! I've been taking photos for awhile now but am slowly venturing into the more professional side of things. My biggest question right now is this:

If you decide to crop an image to get a better composition, how do you ensure that you get it the right size for printing?

Oh - one more:

Do you print your photos for your clients or do you allow them to print them themselves?

Thanks again!

Comments

• Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    Hey guys - thanks in advance for ANY advice! I've been taking photos for awhile now but am slowly venturing into the more professional side of things. My biggest question right now is this:

If you decide to crop an image to get a better composition, how do you ensure that you get it the right size for printing?

Oh - one more:

Do you print your photos for your clients or do you allow them to print them themselves?

Thanks again!

What ever cropping tool you have should allow for locked in crop size..4x6 or 8x10 etc. A 4x6 type crop is pretty typical. I would crop a little wider then you might think to allow for cropping down the road for print.

I charge all my fees up front and let them have full acces to all image on dvd and from the website. So they have the option of printing on their own. I do get clients who are "afraid" of their computers so I may order print for them at cost.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com