Options

Track & Field

stromhammerstromhammer Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
edited May 16, 2009 in Sports
I was invited to the Colorado Springs Metro League Championships Last weekend to shoot for Woodland Park HS and the local paper. I've never shot track and field before (most of my time is spent shooting soccer) so I would appreciate any advice and input you may have.

I was shooting a Canon 20D w/ Sigma 70-200 2.8.

C&C is welcome.

David

533406207_235nH-X2.jpg

533373100_hnsfQ-X2.jpg

533367527_bwaHD-X2.jpg

533347820_GZ8Rt-L.jpg

533386385_x7cEn-X2.jpg

Thanks for look'n.
To the man who only has a hammer in the tool kit, every problem looks like a nail. -Abraham Malsow-

Comments

• Options
    tjstridertjstrider Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2009
    Cc
    Some advice...

I am a runner so just things to think about as I have seen a lot of t/f photos

There has to be a way to not have highlight clipping and tell a better story of the thrower. Shotput and all of that throwing type of people tell an interesting story and you missed that with them a little.

I love the multiple runners in the hurdles, shows that she is ahead and focus is dead on!

Long/Triple jumper should probably still be in the air or else have more crop so that facial and body is the focus not the area to the left of the frame.

Otherwise it is a solid effort. I always like seeing that you can accomplish great things with the non-canon 70-200 as well as a body that many would turn their noses to!
    5D2 + 50D | Canon EF-s 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5 USM | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 50mm 1.8, 580EXII
    http://stridephoto.carbonmade.com
  • Options
    stromhammerstromhammer Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited May 16, 2009
    tjstrider wrote:
    Some advice...

I am a runner so just things to think about as I have seen a lot of t/f photos

There has to be a way to not have highlight clipping and tell a better story of the thrower. Shotput and all of that throwing type of people tell an interesting story and you missed that with them a little.

I love the multiple runners in the hurdles, shows that she is ahead and focus is dead on!

Long/Triple jumper should probably still be in the air or else have more crop so that facial and body is the focus not the area to the left of the frame.

Otherwise it is a solid effort. I always like seeing that you can accomplish great things with the non-canon 70-200 as well as a body that many would turn their noses to!

That's good advice. At what point during the throw would you call it a good shot? I'm not real sure what people want to see from a shot put photo. Here are a couple more at different moments.

533360154_xtxzm-X2.jpg

533357248_MaXse-X2.jpg
    To the man who only has a hammer in the tool kit, every problem looks like a nail. -Abraham Malsow-