DSS#25 C&C please

silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
edited May 17, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
This isn't exactly what I had in mind for the challenge, but you work with what you're given... right? Taken in MO, heading into some rough weather on 15 May. I won't really have a chance to reshoot (but I do have another idea for the challenge).

Thanks in advance.

web.jpg?ver=12424840350001
- Joe
http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10

Comments

• HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2009
    It definitely has potential for "foul weather." If you decide to use it, I would recommend a landscape crop that takes out some of the road (say just above the darker spot in the center of the road) and some of the brighter portion of the clouds. This will focus more of the attention on the drama of the storm. Also, bumping up the contrast in the sky and brightening the car headlights will heighten the drama. Clean up some of the windshield smudges to finish off. All this should help the image really pop. Good luck.
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2009
    Hi Silver
    Nice storm shot here...

The towering clouds swooping up to the far top right of the frame give it impact in this composition.. The problem is you have a composition that asks a question here rather than makes a statement because you have the majority of the frame being filled with bright blown out white clouds and that dominates and competes with the stormy foul look....

If it were me, I would crop a quarter inch down from the top as to leave that peaking and swooping on the upper right, but then burn it in some so that it makes a statement of dark powerful foul weather... be careful not to over do it, because you need some white to contrast the dark, but you have too much white here.. you need to burn on a low tolerance brush until it looks right.

Or >>> to make it a little easier, open it up in PS and go to > Image > Adjustments >Curves, make sure you chose RGB and then push "up" the bottom slider on the left, push it up to about "12" output, then save.. you will notice it fixes the blow out in the clouds without further darkening the bottom half of the photo.. but still leaves some white glow int he clouds to keep them powerful and dynamic..

Hope this helps some..

other than that, looking good.. will look on here for your other idea your posting too?

Good Luckthumb.gif
    Kat
  • silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2009
    Thanks for the suggestions, here are two crop/edit pics. I played with the cropping, levels, brightness + contrast and spot healed a few areas. I'm not sure which one I like more.

Kat, I tried to burn, but I think all I gave the image was pain. I'll try my other idea hare at the Laramie, WY Hampton Inn. Let's see what I can do with their lighting headscratch.gif.

web.jpg?ver=12425266320001

web.jpg?ver=12425268800001

And finally one that I played with by darkening a layer quite a bit and brushing in the lower portion of the lighter layer.

web.jpg?ver=12425278770001
    - Joe
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2009
    Awesome
    I am liking the 3rd one... it looks like tornado weather... love the way the cars are heading into danger feeling of it you pulled off here.. great work..thumb.gif

your other idea is a contender too though.. hmmmmmm

Kat
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2009
    I like the first one.
  • silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2009
    Thanks again for the comments. It's a toss up (for me) between the last one here and my original idea. I have the original idea submitted now. I'll have to dwell on which one I should submit for the final. I guess the last leg of my trip will allow me to do that mwink.gif.

Anyway, keep the comments flowing bowdown.gif
    - Joe
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2009
    take the last one, and crop it up to that first white line. Should make it a bit more dramatic
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section