Glow worms (really bad)

CoreheadCorehead Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
edited May 18, 2009 in Holy Macro
So, I'm walking home from doing my cave laser shots and right on the road, I spot a "glow worm" (So the Verde Valley riparian area will have fireflies in a couple months).

Setting my dying old Canon A520 at 2" focus, ISO 400, Aperture f 2.6, and 1/20 sec shutter speed...and with my UV LED penlight (probably peaks at 365nm), I spent the next half hour hunched over in the middle of a dark country road, desparately trying to get one--just ONE--decent shot of yet another bug that just wouldn't sit still for anyone!

No good. Not even after post processing.

But I'll share what I got anyway. The glow worm was an inch long; the purplish cast is from the UV but the yellow-green is bioluminescence from its head.

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2009
    Looks more like an astronomy photo - meteorite burning up in atmospere :)
    Brian v.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2009
    Looks more like an astronomy photo - meteorite burning up in atmosphere :)
    Brian v.

I was thinking the same thing Brian, a very Astronomical looking shot clap.gif
    Interesting shot Corehead thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • TanukiTanuki Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2009
    Corehead wrote:
    So, I'm walking home from doing my cave laser shots and right on the road, I spot a "glow worm" (So the Verde Valley riparian area will have fireflies in a couple months).

Setting my dying old Canon A520 at 2" focus, ISO 400, Aperture f 2.6, and 1/20 sec shutter speed...and with my UV LED penlight (probably peaks at 365nm), I spent the next half hour hunched over in the middle of a dark country road, desparately trying to get one--just ONE--decent shot of yet another bug that just wouldn't sit still for anyone!

No good. Not even after post processing.

But I'll share what I got anyway. The glow worm was an inch long; the purplish cast is from the UV but the yellow-green is bioluminescence from its head.

I feel your pain. I came across a glow worm cave on the south island in New Zealand, and had even worse results. Yours is a masterpiece compared to mine. Well done!
  • CoreheadCorehead Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2009
    Thanks for feeling my "pain" there. :bash I'm gonna find a way to "nail" this type of shot.