Options

Kids sports

fredjclausfredjclaus Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
edited May 18, 2009 in Sports
What's involved in setting up to photograph community summer sports programs such as Baseball, and soccer? I am a coach of baseball, and we just had our pictures done this morning. The work they did was minimal at best and something I can do myself. In fact I have for other members of the team. This company had a few cameras and a handful of photographers. Do we NEED multiple photographers, or can one photographer and one assistant do the trick?
Fred J Claus
Commercial Photographer
http://www.FredJClaus.com
http://www.Fredjclaus.com/originals

Save on your own SmugMug account. Just enter Coupon code i2J0HIOcEElwI at checkout

Comments

• Options
    kiz5kiz5 Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2009
    You can get away with using 1-2 photographers, but it'll make people sick of doing it very, very quickly.
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2009
    Fred,

The answer is different depending on whether you're talking Team & Individual (T&I) photos or action photos. T&I is without a doubt the more profitable and much better return on investment for time involved. Success depends more on the product offering - memory mates, trading cards, pins, magnets. The number of shooters depends on the number of teams.

Action photography is completely different. So which is it you are wanting to do?
  • Options
    b08rsab08rsa Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2009
    I currently shoot soccer games for my daughters soccer club in Cincinnati. One of my first things I done was to get written consent to use the clubs logo in my photo's. deal.gif We have an agreement that if I make a profit with their logo, I donate a portion of the profit to purchase equipment for players or teams that are in need of basic equipment. I do not do this as a full time job, but in my situation, it's a win win for everyone. My .02
    clap.gif
    Sony A7ii, Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens, Sony FE85mm f/1.8 Lens, Sony FE 28-70 mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Lens, Godox 860iiS Flash.
  • Options
    tjk60tjk60 Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2009
    Fred it's just a logistical question. One League, 4 teams, 100 kids? probably. one League, 30 teams, 750 kids, maybe not.

Are you doing it to save money? Are you unsatisfied with the current companies pics?

If you are doing it to lower the price, this is why the photography business is in trouble.

If it is because you don't like the pics, that's different.
    Tim
    Troy, MI

D700/200, SB800(4), 70-200, 300 2.8 and a few more

www.sportsshooter.com/tjk60