Options

Set price procedure

DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
edited May 16, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I had a customer ask for some specific prints. Most of them were to be 4x6's of a ceremony, and a few of those (8 of 40-ish) were also to be 8x10's. Since I didn't want him to crop them himself on checkout, I uploaded 2 versions of the 8 in question - one cropped to 4x6 and the other cropped to 8x10.

I made a new gallery and set the gallery pricing to 0 for everything; then I set the lustre 4x6 price so that only lustre 4x6's could be ordered. So far so good.

Now I needed to change the pricing for the shots cropped to 8x10. For each one I had to select the photo, click tools, click set price, change to image price, zero out the 4x6 price and enter an 8x10 price. Blech.

Of course, somewhere along the way of doing all these clicks 8 times I forgot to change to image pricing instead of gallery pricing, which set the entire gallery to 8x10 only. What a pain. If I were dealing with a lot of shots I would have been really ticked off.

The question is, am I missing something or is this procedure really what you have to do?

I know someone will mention delayed printing, but honestly I don't think that's a fit for me. And I'm unclear on how it would work anyway. If someone orders a 4x6 and an 8x10 of the same print, how am I supposed to upload a new version with the proper size? It doesn't make sense to me. :dunno

Why not have a per-image pricing page that lets you select thumbs of photos and then set image level pricing for those photos? So when you change from gallery pricing to image level pricing all my thumbs show up; I select the 8 of them, zero out 4x6 and set 8x10 price. Done.

It fits in with the UI used on other tools, too.:deal

Comments

• Options
    WendeeWendee Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2009
    If you want to have images in your gallery that are only available in certain print sizes, then Yes you're doing this right.

When you're setting the image pricing, you can set the 8x10 price and then fill all the other empty boxes with zeros, that'll help speed things up:

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/538172089_f7Xbq-M.jpg

If you didn't want to have to set image pricing for several images, you could move the 8x10's into their own gallery so that you have to set that price just once.

Proof Delay is really an awesome feature. You could set prices for all print sizes you want to offer, and set your proofing days to allow plenty of time for you to adjust cropping and edit images.

http://www.smugmug.com/help/proof-retouch-replace
    http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/SmugMug/Proof+Delay

The customer orders, and they are notified in the shopping cart that there are extra days in the processing time. You then have that set number of days to proof the order.

If a customer does order one image in multiple sizes, you can replace the one image with one other image, doing your best to make sure it fits all the purchased sizes. We can't allow you to replace one ordered image with more than one image, it just doesn't work. If they order a 4x6 and an 8x10, and there's no possible way that the one image will look good for both sizes, then shoot a message to our Heroes and we'll help out, doing whatever we can to get the order right. (We love helping out. iloveyou.gif )

I will forward your suggestion about image pricing to our Feature Request crew, to see how we can improve this to make it more user friendly.

Holler if you still have questions!

~Wendee
    Support Hero
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2009
    That's pretty much how I thought it worked right now. Thanks Wendee~ thumb.gif