I've decided on a 20D, but what about the lens combo packs?

52Caddy52Caddy Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
edited June 16, 2005 in Cameras
What's the best value going right now for the combos with the lens?
If this has been covered, could someone point me to a thread?
Thanks,
Eric

Woof
5402165-Ti-1.jpg

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2005
    That all depends on what you want to do, but I'd have to say that the Canon 17-40L and the 70-200 f4L are a great pair of inexpensive (relatively), high-quality lenses.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    That all depends on what you want to do, but I'd have to say that the Canon 17-40L and the 70-200 f4L are a great pair of inexpensive (relatively), high-quality lenses.
    The 17-40 and the 70-200 aren't available "with" the 20D body, are they? Not sure but they weren't the last time I checked... The two kits that I'm aware of are the 20D with the 18-55 and the 17-85 IS. I'd say at leats, either buy the 20D and a lens of your own, like the 17-40, or the kit with the 17-85 IS. But the 18-55 isn't exactly built to last you forever, and most people end up buying other lenses later to split up that focal length like the 10-22 and the 24-70 f/2.8, both of which are much higher quality. So either get the kit with the 17-85 IS or get the body alone and a lens of your choice. And don't forget to consider what you shoot most of the time! I spent the first few months of my DSLR ownership with just a macro lens, cause that's all I wanted to shoot!

-Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited June 14, 2005
    Eric,

Both kit lenses are decent, but not great. I guess it depends on how much you want to spend. The 18-55mm adds like $75 to the kit cost while the 17-85mm seems to add about $500.

As Matt mentions, most people quickly migrate to other lenses so any additional $ you spend on the kit lens would probably be more wisely applied to your next lens purchase ne_nau.gif

Just my 2 cents,

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • 52Caddy52Caddy Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2005
    Thanks for the info guys. I ended up with the 18-55 for now. I'm going to be looking for some type of zoom lens for shooting at air shows, and I think I'll start searching here!
    Thanks again,
    Eric
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2005
    52Caddy wrote:
    Thanks for the info guys. I ended up with the 18-55 for now. I'm going to be looking for some type of zoom lens for shooting at air shows, and I think I'll start searching here!
    Thanks again,
    Eric

Not sure you need a zoom for air shows, just a long telephoto prime. The Canon 400/5.6L is a fantastic bargain for this. The 300mm/4L is a bit more money but includes an image stabilizer and is also a great bargain.

For comparison, I shot the air shots here http://mercphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/475750 with a 70-200/2.8L and a 1.4 TC (for an effective length of 280mm) on a 20D. At times I could have used a bit more reach. For any of the air shots I was always at full-zoom.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu