A few more from the Columbia Gorge

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited May 20, 2009 in Landscapes
Here are a few more shots from my quick trip to the gorge a few weekends ago.

#1: Latourell Falls

535285922_HSn5U-L.jpg

#2: Wahkeena Creek (I did this composition a few months ago too, and removed a small log out of the frame, that small log was still there when I returned!).

535283759_UpyJn-L.jpg

#3: Wahkeena Falls

535282560_N3MVK-L.jpg

#4: Wahkeena Creek

535281312_jqpZp-L.jpg

#5: Eagle Creek

534457410_9NaNV-L.jpg

#6: Eagle Creek (just upstream of Lower Punch Bowl Falls)

534454888_ZFzro-L.jpg

#7: Eagle Creek abstract

534453605_kd373-L.jpg

#8: Punch Bowl Falls. This was taken right at sunrise, next time I'm going to try it in the late evening so it's not backlit. Also the current was a little strong (see photo #6 for what it looked like 150 feet downstream) and deep for me to get a sturdy exposure. The last time I was there in winter the water was freezing but shallow, this time it was surprisingly warm but deep.

534450131_Lyccn-L.jpg

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2009
    They are all incredible Ron, but that last one is simply over the top good bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif

Dan
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 17, 2009
    Another great series! clap.gif The first and the last photo appeal to me the most, plus the abstract. Yes, I remember the story about removing the log - this is not a very frequented place, is it? mwink.gif Or maybe some people just don't move logs around. :D

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • eMOJOeMOJO Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2009
    Great shots Ron, I really like the last one... well done

What filter were you using on that last shot? or is the water just that clear...

E
    If you can't see the bright side of life...
    POLISH THE DARK SIDE

• scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2009
    Nice to see you branching out from your usual subjects, Ron. thumb.gif
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2009
    WOW- #1, 3, 6 are INCREDIBLE. I hate you Ron- no I am serious, I hate you. It's you and Paris Hilton (ok I despise her more).

Seriously, I can't stop looking at #1 and #3. In fact it's making me dizzy! Awesomeness!!!

Cheers,
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2009
    Awesome once again Ron. I really love the abstract and #1, #6 & #8

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2009
    It's always a joy to view your pictures. The last one is my absolute favorite! It invites me to get my feet wet.
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2009
    annnna8888 wrote:
    Another great series! clap.gif The first and the last photo appeal to me the most, plus the abstract. Yes, I remember the story about removing the log - this is not a very frequented place, is it? mwink.gif Or maybe some people just don't move logs around. :D

Ana

I would have thought nature would have moved it again, that's why I was surprised. During the next flood that bad boy will be long downstream I bet.

Thanks for the comments!
    edited May 18, 2009
    eMOJO wrote:
    Great shots Ron, I really like the last one... well done

What filter were you using on that last shot? or is the water just that clear...

E

It really is that clear and I used a polarizer filter which did cut the reflection some (not as much as it could as the scene was mostly backlit instead of sidelit).
    edited May 18, 2009
    shniks wrote:
    WOW- #1, 3, 6 are INCREDIBLE. I hate you Ron- no I am serious, I hate you. It's you and Paris Hilton (ok I despise her more).

Seriously, I can't stop looking at #1 and #3. In fact it's making me dizzy! Awesomeness!!!

Cheers,

It's unfortunate that I have at least five Paris Hilton jokes I can think of and none of them are appropriate for this forum :cry

Anyway, thanks for your comments on this series and the last. There are a lot of great waterfalls in this small area. Someday I'd like to just go trolling up some random creeks and see what I find.
    edited May 18, 2009
    Thanks again to everyone who commented, much appreciated! If you ever find yourself in Portland on a rainy overcast day it's definitely worth a visit to the gorge for some waterfall shots.
  • cjmchchcjmchch Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2009
    Simply beautiful Ron...for me though #7 would make a great hanging on a wall. clap.gif
    Canon - Manfrotto - Pocketwizard - Sekonic - Westcott - Hoya - Singh Ray

http://chrismckayphotography.com
  • Picture North CarolinaPicture North Carolina Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited May 19, 2009
    A very nice series of shots. Good work.

SmugMug Gallery | Website | Like my Facebook page, I'll like yours
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    Really lovely series Ron. I expecially like number 8, thanks for the sacrifice for these shots.