Options

few days in maui

lukaokolukaoko Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited May 20, 2009 in Journeys
This first pic was taken outside of our hotel, the Grand Wailea. The waterfall was man-made, but looked great.

maui_fall2.jpg

The next two photos were taken on the way to Hana. We didn't make it all the way there, it was a 4+hr drive each way, but saw a lot of cool stuff.

spider_hana.jpg

peacock_maui.jpg

Supposedly the opening scene for the movie Jurassic Park was shot at this location.

jurassic%20park_maui.jpg

Our last day on the island, had 10 hours to kill as we were on a red-eye back to PA. Woke up at 6 am, and everything was blue.
wailea_am.jpg

Went on a hike, saw a creek and took this pic.

maui_kanaha-creek.jpg

Went to Mama's Fish House for dinner before catching our flight. It's a great restaurant, and I highly recommend it. I took this picture around that area.

north_of_paia.jpg

Comments

• Options
    IntrepidBerkeleyExplorerIntrepidBerkeleyExplorer Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited May 19, 2009
    What about the Nene?
    Lovely shots. That's a very striking peacock.

Did you ever see the Nene, Hawaii's state bird? It's a large goose, rare and endangered, in part because the Nene prefers walking over flying. This choice helps predators. On some islands there are road warning signs that say "Nene Crossing". The signs are easier to find than the bird.

I am trying to attach a sample Nene photo for reference, taken I think on the Big Island in 1993.
  • Options
    lukaokolukaoko Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    thanks Intrepidberkeleyexplorer, appreciate the feedback.
    the only Nene I know of is the one playing for the Denver Nuggets! ;-)

We saw a lot of chickens running around the island, but no Nenes.
    Looks like the one in your pic was tagged.