Family Portrait for advice

jbr13jbr13 Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
edited May 18, 2009 in People
Took a self family portrait today. Looking for tips and suggestions C&C Please.

Thanks to all!!

538746059_K4Xcp-XL.jpg
Jason

http://jbr.smugmug.com/

"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced... Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice"

Comments

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2009
    Lose the t-shirts and bold print. Casual is great....but the level of casualness that the woman imparts should be at least matched by the others in the photograph.

FWIW....bold print on clothing is a no-no IMO in a portrait unless there is a VERY good reason for using it....as in advertising....or team sports.
  • jbr13jbr13 Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2009
    Yeah, sorry about that. My parents are in town and really didn't bring clothes for the photograph. We just kinda went with something that wasn't completely opposites. I hope the lighting looks ok, and the possitioning does look to bad. I am very new at using the stobes. I got a cheap set to play with. Trying to learn what I can with them.

Thanks!

jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Lose the t-shirts and bold print. Casual is great....but the level of casualness that the woman imparts should be at least matched by the others in the photograph.

FWIW....bold print on clothing is a no-no IMO in a portrait unless there is a VERY good reason for using it....as in advertising....or team sports.
    Jason

http://jbr.smugmug.com/

"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced... Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice"
  • picturegirlpicturegirl Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2009
    IMO I think the lighting looks pretty good. I agree with Jeff that the T-shirts are a no no, but maybe if you’re Mom was in a T-shirt too it wouldn't be as awkward???? I don't know, it's just that she is so "dressy" compared to the way you guys are dressed. The other thing that stood out to me is that the gentlemen’s arm on the right has disappeared. I would have placed his hand on her shoulder or something to that effect. I guess if you only have casual clothing handy you could try a less formal pose with big smiles.