Options

types of in-camera light meters, what to use

lisarhinehartlisarhinehart Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
edited May 18, 2009 in Technique
So I reading a book that says the different types of meters are: average, center-weighted, matrix, and spot. I wanted to see what my digital rebel has and the manual lists them as evalutive, partial and center-weighted. Are these different terms for the same types or different types?

Which meter works well in which situation? The book I read talks about metering certain places and recomposing the shot.
Lisa
My Website

Comments

• Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2009
    This linky should help.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited May 17, 2009
    Nice link
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2009
    So I reading a book that says the different types of meters are: average, center-weighted, matrix, and spot. I wanted to see what my digital rebel has and the manual lists them as evalutive, partial and center-weighted. Are these different terms for the same types or different types?

Which meter works well in which situation? The book I read talks about metering certain places and recomposing the shot.

In general you should be in evaluative metering. You should only use spot or center weighted metering if you are shooting a static scene where you have all the time in the world. In any kind of dynamic shooting environment...evaluative (or matrix) is the way to go.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    lisarhinehartlisarhinehart Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2009
    thanks
    thanks, everyone. Great link.
    Lisa
    My Website