Options

Question about the MLB and photography

Luke J. PhotographyLuke J. Photography Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
edited May 23, 2009 in Sports
If I bought a ticket to a MLB game and brought my camera to take photo's and profited from them. Would it be a legal profit?

Comments

• Options
    ErbemanErbeman Registered Users Posts: 926 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2009
    If I bought a ticket to a MLB game and brought my camera to take photo's and profited from them. Would it be a legal profit?

No, that isn't legal. You cannot sell pics of pro's without consent. Also, good luck getting a lens big enough to get shots that anybody would want into a game. They don't allow professional grade photography equipment in. I shoot amatuer and pro motorcycle racing and I can sell the amatuer but I can't even offer to sell pics of the Pro's. There is alot of legal red tape that could really get you in trouble if you got caught.
    Come see my Photos at:
    http://www.RussErbePhotography.com :thumb
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/erbeman

D700, D300, Nikkor 35-70 F/2.8, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8, Nikkor 70-200 AF-S VR F/2.8, Nikkor AF-S 1.7 teleconverter II,(2) Profoto D1 500 Air,SB-900, SB-600, (2)MB-D10, MacBook Pro
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2009
    Just to add my .02. Erbeman is correct - you may NOT profit from the images. All major league sports (MLB, NHL, NBA,NFL) copyright the images of the players. You may not use their images for profit.

Now, as to equipment - it depends on the venue. Some allow some do not. For instance, the Cleveland Indians allow me to use a 100-400L lens without issue. They might not allow a 400mm 2.8 lens but no issues with the 100-400. Which, by the way, is a great lens for MLB. The Cavs, however are a bit more restrictive. I believe Yankee Stadium is also fairly restrictive and would not allow something like the 100-400 in.

Other stadiums, however, do NOT allow it.

Of course, for the Indians this year there really isn't a picture worth taking unless it's of the other team, but that has nothing to do with camera equipment.
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2009
  • Options
    kiz5kiz5 Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2009
    You can bring a 400 or 600 f/4 into the Rogers Centre. The issue is interrupting the fans around you. If they complain, they'll ask you to put it away. All you do though, is move to an empty spot, if available.
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2009
    kiz5 wrote:
    You can bring a 400 or 600 f/4 into the Rogers Centre. The issue is interrupting the fans around you. If they complain, they'll ask you to put it away. All you do though, is move to an empty spot, if available.
    Where I shoot the lens must be under 12". I should be able to get a 300mm 2.8 in though just no hood. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    Gary Peterson PhotographyGary Peterson Photography Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    Listings
    johng wrote:
    Just to add my .02. Erbeman is correct - you may NOT profit from the images. All major league sports (MLB, NHL, NBA,NFL) copyright the images of the players. You may not use their images for profit.

Now, as to equipment - it depends on the venue. Some allow some do not. For instance, the Cleveland Indians allow me to use a 100-400L lens without issue. They might not allow a 400mm 2.8 lens but no issues with the 100-400. Which, by the way, is a great lens for MLB. The Cavs, however are a bit more restrictive. I believe Yankee Stadium is also fairly restrictive and would not allow something like the 100-400 in.

Other stadiums, however, do NOT allow it.

Of course, for the Indians this year there really isn't a picture worth taking unless it's of the other team, but that has nothing to do with camera equipment.

Do you have Media Credentials issued by the Indians, Cavs, Yankees or MLB?

You mention that the Indians allow you to use a 100-400..is that specific permission to you, or in general? Do you shoot for them full time?

It would be super useful for someone to post a listing of restrictions and whats allowed at each MLB venue for all as a resource.
    Gary Peterson
    Gary Peterson
    Award Winning Photographer
    garypetersonphoto@earthlink.net

Winner Brides Choice Award 2017
    Winner Best of Spokane 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2015
    Winner Best of Spokane 2015
    Winner Wedding Wire Couples Choice Award 2014
    Winner Best Photographer 2013 Spokane A-List
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2013
    Winner Best of Spokane Northwest Inlander 2012
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2011
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2010
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2011
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2010

(509) 230-9785

www.actionsportsimages.smugmug.com

• Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    Do you have Media Credentials issued by the Indians, Cavs, Yankees or MLB?

You mention that the Indians allow you to use a 100-400..is that specific permission to you, or in general? Do you shoot for them full time?

It would be super useful for someone to post a listing of restrictions and whats allowed at each MLB venue for all as a resource.

I was commenting as a fan. With a media credential you're not going to have a restriction.

Really the best advice is - check the website of the team/facility and see if they have a FAQ or other area that covers photography (or do a search on their site) and see what their official policy is. BUT, be warned - sometimes ushers and security have their own ideas about what gear should be let in regardless of the published policy.
  • Options
    ErbemanErbeman Registered Users Posts: 926 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    johng wrote:
    I was commenting as a fan. With a media credential you're not going to have a restriction.

Really the best advice is - check the website of the team/facility and see if they have a FAQ or other area that covers photography (or do a search on their site) and see what their official policy is. BUT, be warned - sometimes ushers and security have their own ideas about what gear should be let in regardless of the published policy.

That is so freakin true. These are generally people who aren't generally too well respected. So, when they are placed in a position with just a hint of power, man they tend to really flex their muscles to feel good about themselves because they are all of a sudden powerful and feel that they are respected because of it. I can't stand these security folks at SX races who are hired from some temp agency then act like they are somebody important.
    Come see my Photos at:
    http://www.RussErbePhotography.com :thumb
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/erbeman

D700, D300, Nikkor 35-70 F/2.8, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8, Nikkor 70-200 AF-S VR F/2.8, Nikkor AF-S 1.7 teleconverter II,(2) Profoto D1 500 Air,SB-900, SB-600, (2)MB-D10, MacBook Pro
  • Options
    Gary Peterson PhotographyGary Peterson Photography Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    Lol...
    Erbeman wrote:
    That is so freakin true. These are generally people who aren't generally too well respected. So, when they are placed in a position with just a hint of power, man they tend to really flex their muscles to feel good about themselves because they are all of a sudden powerful and feel that they are respected because of it. I can't stand these security folks at SX races who are hired from some temp agency then act like they are somebody important.

No kidding. I shoot a bit of hockey, and at one of the arenas I shoot at, they changed the security company mid-season, and man, what a lot of fun we all had with that....
    Gary Peterson
    Gary Peterson
    Award Winning Photographer
    garypetersonphoto@earthlink.net

Winner Brides Choice Award 2017
    Winner Best of Spokane 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2015
    Winner Best of Spokane 2015
    Winner Wedding Wire Couples Choice Award 2014
    Winner Best Photographer 2013 Spokane A-List
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2013
    Winner Best of Spokane Northwest Inlander 2012
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2011
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2010
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2011
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2010

(509) 230-9785

www.actionsportsimages.smugmug.com

• Options
    edited May 22, 2009
    johng wrote:

Don't even get me started on that one.
  • Options
    kiz5kiz5 Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2009
    Don't even get me started on that one.

Yep.

The Air Canada Centre has restrictions on lenses, and that they have to have smaller focal lengths than 75mm.

When I went with a friend to watch a game, they conveniently changed the rule to the lens being 75mm in length. I pointed out that if they wanted it to be the length of the lens, it'd be mentioned, and also they'd say 7.5 cms, or 3 inches long. Ah well.