Options

do you have to shoot raw to get large files

creativeclickscreativeclicks Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited May 18, 2009 in Technique
Trying to figure out why my Rebel 10mp camera never produces 10mp files. When shooting in jpeg mode I usually only get 3s sometimes 4s. How can I increase file size if I'm shooting in large mode. Do I need to shoot in raw?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2009
    That sounds about the right size if you are shooting Large JPEG's. There is much compression when you shoot JPEG, even in the largest setting.

If you shoot RAW, you'll notice that the files are closer to 10MB, like about 8-11MB or so depending on the amount of detail the shot has. If you convert the RAW image in Canon's DPP in the largest JPEG setting, the files may be about 6-8MP or so. Much smaller if you use Photoshop to convert the RAW to the largest JPEG, more like 4-6MP or so.
  • Options
    RezenRezen Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited May 18, 2009
    Trying to figure out why my Rebel 10mp camera never produces 10mp files. When shooting in jpeg mode I usually only get 3s sometimes 4s. How can I increase file size if I'm shooting in large mode. Do I need to shoot in raw?
    Thanks

10mp simply refers to the resolution of the image that is recorded.

If you have your "Quality" setting set correctly, the resolution of the picture being taken should be 3888 x 2592 for 10 MP.

This doesn't mean that the file will be 10 MB in size!

If you are recording in JPG, then the filesize will likely be quite smaller. Recording in RAW will yield a substantially larger file size... but not a higher resolution image.
    The best camera in the world is the one you have with you.
  • Options
    creativeclickscreativeclicks Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited May 18, 2009
    thanks for the clarification