*ENTRY* Thread DSS #26: Modify the Light

LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
edited June 1, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge #26

Welcome to Round #26 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges. This challenge is open to any Dgrin member. It will run from Monday, May 18, 08:00am, EST time (GMT -5) to Monday, June 1, 08:00am, EST time (GMT -5).

The topic ready for your interpretation: Modify the Light

Without light there can be no photography. Light can create depth, mood, and shadow depending on how it is used to shape an image. Whether it's natural or artificial, modifying the light is a skill every photographer should attempt to learn. Be creative. Have fun. Bend the light to your will.

Your Judges:
photo-bug (Winner of Round 23)
Travis (Guest Judge)

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a Smugmug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page: Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your exif will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules, there have been some slight modifications.

Comments

• MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2009
    eek7.gifeek7.gifeek7.gif

My head hurts just thinking about it!
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2009
    Wow...:wow

Wonderful subject, but..... I couldn't have a more difficult contest to judge drums.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    eek7.gifeek7.gifeek7.gif

My head hurts just thinking about it!

I agree. This is going to be tough.
    - Joe
    http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
    Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
    Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2009
    wow
    this is going to be so fun and a great learning experience to boot..!clap.gif

great theme... this is going to be a "fun" one to judge photobug...rolleyes1.gif
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    I suspect I'm overthinking this, but...

Isn't anything we do to add light to a situation "modifying the light"? In other words, I'm thinking about gels, reflectors, even flash etc... And how do we make it clear that's what we've done? I've just done a fun set of some flowers with gelled flash but if I don't tell you that, it's just a picture in pretty sunlight.

Sorry - now that my first BRILLIANT (?!) idea has panned out because the prop I need isn't readily available (grrr) I'm starting to explore other avenues and getting thoroughly confused! headscratch.gif
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Isn't anything we do to add light to a situation "modifying the light"? In other words, I'm thinking about gels, reflectors, even flash etc... And how do we make it clear that's what we've done?

Yep, gels, reflectors, and flash are all viable ways to accomplish this. Let's just say the light should really make the image, not just...uh...make the image. mwink.gif Clear as mud?
    edited May 22, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Yep, gels, reflectors, and flash are all viable ways to accomplish this. Let's just say the light should really make the image, not just...uh...make the image. mwink.gif Clear as mud?

Would you please have maybe... some examples of what "you" have in mind with this subject? bowdown.gif

It is as hard to come up with a shot, as it is (and even more) to judge it... if we don't exactly know what to do,
    and expect to be done...headscratch.gif
    Travelways.com
    edited May 22, 2009
    photo-bug wrote:
    Would you please have maybe... some examples of what "you" have in mind with this subject? bowdown.gif

You know, I've thought about this in the past, and the reason I always stop myself from doing it is because I don't want to influence people's interpretations with my own photographic views. What good will it do if everyone tries to shoot the way I would? I'd hate to lose the diversity. Plus, my opinion doesn't matter (unless I'm judging :D). I'm the woman behind the curtain, really.

However...have you ever looked at a photograph and not been able to stop yourself from exclaiming, "Wow, what gorgeous light!" mwink.gif
    edited May 22, 2009
    Thanks Kerry - I actually found another source for my prop, so I think I can go back to Plan A :D
  • miskatonic_universitymiskatonic_university Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    Good luck everyone!
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:

So would it be safe to say you wouldn't have to use anything except of a great eye and using whatever your surroundings to capture the light in the best possible way by using what's available?

I hope that made sense.headscratch.gif
    edited May 23, 2009
    So would it be safe to say you wouldn't have to use anything except of a great eye and using whatever your surroundings to capture the light in the best possible way by using what's available?

I hope that made sense.headscratch.gif

Mold the light—be it sun or speedlight or some other source—into a strong subject. How you accomplish that is up to you. thumb.gif
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Mold the light—be it sun or speedlight or some other source—into a strong subject. How you accomplish that is up to you. thumb.gif

Thanks Kerry that helps a lot.

g
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    I've uploaded a re-worked version, this old one needs to go, thanks!
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited May 27, 2009
    I just looked at the album and all I can say is WOW!!!:jawdrop Some jaw dropping images in there!!thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif Good luck everyone!
    edited May 28, 2009
    JAG wrote:
    I just looked at the album and all I can say is WOW!!! Some jaw dropping images in there!!thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif Good luck everyone!

You're not kidding! I think this may be one of the most consistently high-standard rounds I've ever seen. Extraordinary images. And there's still 4 more days before it closes!!
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    You're not kidding! I think this may be one of the most consistently high-standard rounds I've ever seen. Extraordinary images. And there's still 4 more days before it closes!!

Yeah, we're going to make this as difficult as possible to Tatiana and Travis. thumb.gif :hide
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    Yeah, we're going to make this as difficult as possible to Tatiana and Travis. thumb.gif :hide

Us lot talking about it surely helps lol3.gif
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
    edited May 28, 2009
    I find this contest more challenging even than the Mega-Challange... :D

Wonderful!!! iloveyou.gif

... but judging....hmmmm... I would rather hide myself :hide
    Travelways.com
  • manboumanbou Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    The quality of some of the entries in this challenge blew me away. People really brought their "A" game to this one.
    "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Photography is often finding something cool and taking a picture of it."[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] -- Ken Rockwell[/FONT]
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2009
    I agree there are a bunch of really impressive images this round. I am stunned by the high quality. I was not able to play this round, unfortunately, but I am having a blast seeing what awesomely creative stuff ya'll came up with. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

edited June 1, 2009
    And another round comes to a close. :D
    edited June 1, 2009
    Four DQs this round. :cry trupin, Motaylor, and Nileator, your images were taken before the contest period. And anonymous fourth person, your image was also taken outside the challenge period and did not include a username or title:
    549106156_ssHGK-Th.jpg
    edited June 1, 2009
    Hey folks, you can relax those refresh buttons. I'm still waiting to hear from one of the judges. No results tonight.