Music Director shot. Thoughts?

MaxxamillianMaxxamillian Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
edited May 21, 2009 in People
This is from a snapshot that I was VERY lucky to get.

Music Director for a group I was asked to follow to Seattle for a music competition:

Edit: As promised: The head was incredibly easy to fix...why I didn't think outside the box more is beyond me (a good reason to keep coming back to this board...)

I included a crop that draws more attention to the hands as well. Thanks to all who commented. Another lesson for me to be more proactive and curious rather than reactive and accepting.

535885469_mEfBu-XL.jpg541382484_Mtfmn-XL.jpg

541382489_9yGBZ-XL.jpg

The original:
The only snapshot I had to work with...

535885425_yWqHi-XL.jpg

Comments

• lyttlevietlyttleviet Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited May 18, 2009
    I like it. The tone is very fitting. I wish his head wasn't cut off though :(.
  • MaxxamillianMaxxamillian Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited May 18, 2009
    lyttleviet wrote:
    I like it. The tone is very fitting. I wish his head wasn't cut off though :(.

Ditto...I'm lucky to have this shot-he only held the pose briefly:(
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2009
    It really is a bummer about his head, because other than that I think it's an absolutely WONDERFUL shot.

Did you get any others at all, even bad ones? All you need is to steal the top of his noggin and composite it in - since the bg is black you can easily fudge that in PS :D
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2009
    awesome shot if it wern't for the clipped head. thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif Also if he been holding a baton in his hands..
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited May 18, 2009
    Interesting lighting.

Is the shot really of his head or of his hands?

You might try a crop of just his back with his hands, and lose the head entirely.

Might work.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    Interesting lighting.

Is the shot really of his head or of his hands?

You might try a crop of just his back with his hands, and lose the head entirely.

Might work.

This is an interesting idea. I like the photo overall, but the hands are quite interesting.
    edited May 19, 2009
    Thanks!
    I get more valuable feedback on this board than the others that I am on...thanks everyone for taking the time...

I wont be able to get at this picture until later Tuesday--but I am going to try both approaches (crop and to see if I cant fix the head). I'll also post the original I worked from ("snapshot" barely does it justice).

It will be interesting to see if I can crop and keep the mood or fix the head and make it look real.
    edited May 20, 2009
    Bumped with fixes.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    For me, the added head works a TREAT! Well done - that's impressive cloning/patching/merging.

As for the crop version... what about coming in even closer? It's tough, because there are so few visual clues as to who/what he is (oh, if he'd been holding the baton how great that would have been!)

Great job! thumb.gif
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    nice job w/ the head fix. I am even more impressed at the final given the snap you started with. You showed some great vision and produced a very nice final product. clap.gif

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    Being a retired band director I'm biased but anyway......great shot and retouching!!!