Options

LR2 corrupting raw images on import?

cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
edited May 19, 2009 in Finishing School
Is anyone else seeing weird image corruption when LR2 imports their images?
539229448_zmzvp-M.jpg

Looking at both the raw and jpeg on the CF and they're "fine"*. But the copy lightroom made to my image collection shows the raw to be damaged just like that thumbnail. The jpg of course is untouched.

Images are coming from a Canon 20D shooting raw+lg/fine. But since they're ok on the CF, I don't think that really matters. I've seen this with the card mounted either in the USB CF reader in my monitor, or the express card slot mounted reader on my laptop. And actually, thinking back on it... at least one of the times I've seen this was reading a file from hard drive.

I'm still in the trial period, so this has all been within the last couple weeks. I'm up to 6 instances of this now. This is with the most current version, 2.3 (539407).

(*"fine" in quotes because the image had total focus fail... subject was in a swing and came waaay too close for the lens I was using to focus on. So the image is crap, but the file is perfectly fine.)
SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
http://wall-art.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited May 18, 2009
    Anybody seen or heard of images damaged on import into LR?

I have not seen or heard of this, but my experience other than my own is very limited.

I have seen images like this from defective CF cards, but you said the data on the cards was OK, if I understand what you said.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Thunder RabbitThunder Rabbit Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2009
    Howdy.

That is indeed bizarre. I haven't seen or heard of anything like it either. But I don't get out much.

I'm at a loss.
    Peace,
    Lee

Thunder Rabbit GRFX
    www.thunderrabbitgrfx.com
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2009
    Yeah pathfinder, image on the card is fine. And it's not doing it 100% of the time. I sent the cr2 to a co-worker, he imported it into his LR just fine. So then I remembered that the first couple times I saw this, I removed the image from the catalog (or blew away the catalog and stared over with a new one in the cases that it was a new catalog to begin with) re-imported the CF and it added fine the second time. headscratch.gif Just did that in this case, added fine.

What really scares me, is that I used to, as a normal run of the mill process, wipe the CF after I completed copying the images to my raid. Now LR is doing that copy for me... and occasionally, corrupting the image. Seems like now I can't wipe the card until I've at least skimmed all the images to make sure there are none of these. :puke

Which probably means I need more CF cards. rolleyes1.gif
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited May 19, 2009
    headscratch.gifscratchheadscratch.gif

This is a strange one. My gut says that it's not a LR problem though. Is it always happening with the same CF card? Maybe there is some intermittent problem with that card. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2009
    two suggestions:
    after importing with LR, open it with DPP (canon's software), bridge, or anything else that handles raw and see if it is there
    try importing from card with canon's or window's software and then import into LR to see if that happens
    E
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2009
    cabbey wrote:
    Yeah pathfinder, image on the card is fine. And it's not doing it 100% of the time. I sent the cr2 to a co-worker, he imported it into his LR just fine. So then I remembered that the first couple times I saw this, I removed the image from the catalog (or blew away the catalog and stared over with a new one in the cases that it was a new catalog to begin with) re-imported the CF and it added fine the second time. headscratch.gif Just did that in this case, added fine.

What really scares me, is that I used to, as a normal run of the mill process, wipe the CF after I completed copying the images to my raid. Now LR is doing that copy for me... and occasionally, corrupting the image. Seems like now I can't wipe the card until I've at least skimmed all the images to make sure there are none of these. :puke

Which probably means I need more CF cards. rolleyes1.gif
    Can you determine whether the actual RAW file is corrupted or whether it's just the preview in LR that is messed up? For example, if you regenerate the preview does it ever change? If you remove an image from the catalog (without deleting it) and then reimport the same RAW file right from the hard disk, does anything change? I'm asking these questions because we need to figure out whether the issue is upon copy from the card and you're actually getting a corrupted file or whether it's an issue with reading and generating previews. The former is probably an issue with the card or card reader or USB sub-system. The latter is likely something in LR.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2009
    Do you have PHotoshop/Camera Raw and does it render it differently if you run them through that? I thought Camera Raw and Lightroom used the same raw engine.
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2009
    I'll try to cover all the great questions here.

It has happened pulling images from 2 CF cards and my local raid array in my mac. So I don't think it's the CF. Both of which have performed great for the year or so I've had the larger one and swapped between them, and the smaller one for the several years I've had it. They're both Kingston cards, the bigger one is a 4G elite pro, it's where 3 or 4 of the failures have come from... one from local hdd, one or two from the smaller Kingston 1G card.

The version of the raw that LR put into my photos folder shows the same corruption no matter where I open it. PS, DPP, Preview.

The version on the card never shows it anywhere.

Regenerating the preview doesn't fix it. Removing it from catalog and re-importing *from the copy LR made into my photos folder* doesn't fix it. Removing it from the catalog and deleting it from disk, then re-importing from the CF *DOES FIX IT*.

PS/ACR have never done this, only LR. Though to be honest, since installing LR a couple weeks ago, I've not use PS/ACR much other than to validate these images. For all I know, LR coulda broken ACR.

Thanks for engaging in the collective brain storm folks... this is perplexing. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited May 19, 2009
    cabbey wrote:
    It has happened pulling images from 2 CF cards and my local raid array in my mac.

Curiouser and curiouser. Just to clarify: you had RAW files that you had copied to your local hard drive and knew to be OK there which then showed corruption once you used LR to import them to a different folder. Is that correct? If that's the case, then LR does become (not to point fingers) a person of interest. There could still be some intermittent hardware problem. Have you been able to reproduce the problem with the same files, or does it just happen at random?
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    Curiouser and curiouser. Just to clarify: you had RAW files that you had copied to your local hard drive and knew to be OK there which then showed corruption once you used LR to import them to a different folder. Is that correct?

Yes.

For my very first experiment with LR, I created a new catalog and imported all of the images from a road trip we took a while back, about 600 images. I imported them from my master raid array across the network. I got one corrupt image very similar to the above. The difference (from memory, I didn't screen cap it :( ) was that it was the bottom third of the image, instead of the left side. I went back and validated that source file was perfectly healthy on the raid, so I removed it from the catalog and re-imported.
    If that's the case, then LR does become (not to point fingers) a person of interest. There could still be some intermittent hardware problem. Have you been able to reproduce the problem with the same files, or does it just happen at random?

it's totally random. last night I took the raw that is shown above and imported it a couple dozen times in a row. Zero fail. I did run a memory test on the box, just to be sure, it seems to be healthy.