experimenting with a cup

lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
edited May 20, 2009 in People
Ok...I have the very basics of equipment, and it doesn't include an external flash :( working on that...but in the meantime I decided to get creative today while I was at home on my lunch break. I took a plastic cup, cut out a hole in the bottom, stuck in on my on camera flash and took my daughter to the smallest room in the house, the bathroom. (sometimes my husband wonders about me...) anyway she is never EVER cooperative, and today she didn't want to let go of the sucker in her mouth. I proceeded anyway because I wanted to see what it would do. I sort of like the results but i'd really like them if she didn't have a stick coming out of her mouth and was smiling! oh well maybe next time. Thought i'd share anyways

539986741_LpG7R-M.jpg

539986519_jVKTV-M.jpg

This is what I had to deal with...

539987107_Scxaq-M.jpg

Comments

• justMEjustME Registered Users Posts: 209 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2009
    #1. Winner!
    These are great and I like the 'natural' kid with sucker.
    Your trick with the cup worked great. Kind of a twist on pinhole.
    Canon EOS 30D & 50D
    Arizona, USA
    http://justineolson.smugmug.com/

..........................................................................................
  • Joe DukovacJoe Dukovac Registered Users Posts: 213 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2009
    For someone who improvised with a plastic cup, you did an awsome job thumb.gif

When you don't have the money, then you have to resort to other methods and get "creative" rolleyes1.gif

I love #1, the others are nice also, but the first one does it for me, I like it the best! Good job!

Joe
    Joe
    North View Studio
    http://www.zoradphotography.com
    Montreal, Canada
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2009
    I really like number 1 too but I'm not too crazy about the right side of her cheek sticking out so much because of the sucker. Like I said if she were smiling or something I'd hang it on my walls!

I stuck the cup on the top, then sat toward the corner of the bathroom I held my camera sideways so it would bounce off the wall. I was pretty impressed with the way it worked. Although I'm not sure how often I want to shoot in the bathroom! Number 3 was nothing really, just wanted to show you what a stinker she is. rolleyes1.gif

Anyway thanks for the comments guys! :D
  • Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2009
    Awesome improvisation. The light in #1 is gorgeous, and so is your daughter. I think the sucker in the mouth is cute and shows some personality. I usually use off camera flash but I always forget how great bounced light can be. After all, it's just turning walls and ceilings into giant softboxes.
    edited May 19, 2009
    Thank you Tim!
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2009
    lilmomma wrote:
    Thank you Tim!

was teh cup a solid plastic cup or one of those greyish semi transperent plastic cups? If it was semi-transparent..it's much like the fong sphere! heh
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited May 19, 2009
    it was a solid one, red on the outside and white on the inside. But now that you mentioned it I'm curious to try the semi-transparent kind :D I'll let you know how those turn out!
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    GREAT shots, it worked and years from now the sucker will make you smile and remember just how much personality she had !
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700