First attempt and portraits

Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
edited May 20, 2009 in People
So this weekend I took pics of my in-laws B&B. They decided they wanted to add an inn keeper part to their website and asked if I would take a picture of them. I think this one was my favorite. I also added some pics of my wife just for C & C. I got into the portrait mood and went crazy!

Porch.jpg

DSC_0223done.jpg

DSC_0222done.jpg

Comments

• MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2009
    Pretty good effort with your in-laws. They seem approachable and welcoming.

Couple of nits:

1. I don't care for the color combination with the shirts and the aprons. This could have been coordinated better.

2. His hands are cut off through the middle. Better off not doing this since it is distracting.

3. I don't like how his hands are positioned. The "fig leaf" pose he has doesn't work for this portrait. It would have been much better if his left hand was resting on the railing or both at his side.

Your wife is lovely. Post more photos of her!:D I don't care for the second shot of her simply because of her eyes looking askew. It's also a little soft.
  • Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2009
    Mitchell thanks for the response! That is the type of comments I was looking for. I have recently started interning at photography studio here in town and I wanted to start learning more portrait stuff. The color of the shirts thing I totally understand. It was all spur of the moment. As for the pose I did one like you had suggested but I had the f stop too open and my mother in-law was out of focus a little and I didnt like it. If you have any other tips I would appreciate it. What do you use to shoot outdoor portraits? This was shot 100% ambient light with my 50 1.4G at 2.8.

As for my wife if I can get her to let me take more pics of here I would gladly post more of her! The second I also agree with you on! I just wanted to post one more pic.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    I think for this type of environmental portrait your don't want to shoot to open. You want to be able to make out the B&B behind them since it is the reason people are looking at the photo in the first place.

I probably would have shot this with your 50mm at f8 using your flash with the GF diffuser for a bit of fill.