Options

Under the Glow

SusanBSusanB Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
edited June 14, 2005 in Holy Macro
Hi folks,

I stopped by the Temecula Balloon and Wine Festival a week ago, to catch some balloons glowing for their balloon glow show. I decided to use the posterization filter effect.

24254539-L.jpg

I'd love to hear what you think,

Susan

Comments

• Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2005
    Sorry Susan somehow slip between the cracks ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif

I want to like this, but the background bugs me.
    Your effect works and maybe even to well it seems to me even to heighten the background.
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2005
    bfjr wrote:
    Sorry Susan somehow slip between the cracks ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif

I want to like this, but the background bugs me.
    Your effect works and maybe even to well it seems to me even to heighten the background.
    There are a lot of images to try and catch and so little time to actually stop and write comments- at least this is true for me too lately.

I'm not sure what you mean by the background- is it the black sky or the people, chairs, etc. under the glow? headscratch.gif If the latter is true, I was trying to show the illumination under the glow ne_nau.gif Might just be the style, as you've suggested.

Thanks for taking the time to let me know your impession, I appeciate it.

Susan
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2005
    It's a great idea, I think maybe the effect is a bit too much? I'd love to see the original and some more shots form the event. Let's see 'em!
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2005
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    It's a great idea, I think maybe the effect is a bit too much? I'd love to see the original and some more shots form the event. Let's see 'em!
    OK. There aren't many shots to choose from because the event turned out to be very short, because they took the ballons down and started a laser show that was underwhelming, and two of the four balloons that I photographed did not glow ne_nau.gif :cry

Here's the original, a bit out of plumb since I wasn't using it for much.

24149528-L.jpg

a different crop of it, also without the filter

24149518-L.jpg

the two that didn't glow :cry

24149522-L.jpg

and some laser show shots

24149524-L.jpg

24149525-L.jpg

I had to work the next two days when the daytime flights took place, so I do not have any of those shots, unfortunately. The event in New Mexico in October is the super cool balloon event that I'd love to see.

Thanks very much for your interest and for taking the time to check these out and offer your thoughts. Much appreciated,

Susan
  • Options
    erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2005
    I like the original better! I think this works in both vertical and horizontal formats. Try cropping horizontal wide-angle (keep as much of the field as you can) and about the same amount of ballon as the posterized version and see how it looks.

I don't think the background is bad. The lighting is great.

Erich
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2005
    Yep it was the effect thumb.gif
    the originals look great clap.gif