2200 mm. on a 5D MkII

GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,881 Major grins
edited May 19, 2009 in Cameras
I don't know if it has been here before, but I thought it would be interesting to share with you:

http://www.skynyx.fr/legault/atlantis_hst_transit.html

Found this link on another forum.

Comments

• CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2009
    These are truly out-of-this-world images.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited May 19, 2009
    Kids, don't try this at home without adult supervision and without solar filtering! deal.gif

I caught that link on The Bad Astronomer's site a couple days ago. Equal to those incredible images is the prep he had to go through to capture all these. 16 images at continuous with shooting beginning 2 seconds before the predicted solar transit time (1/3 second) is, well — thankfully there are people that can crunch all that math stuff. And he shot several series of this. WOW!
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2009
    He should've used a flash for fill .. that spacecraft is horribly underexposed mwink.gif
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • tjstridertjstrider Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2009
    Manfr3d wrote:
    He should've used a flash for fill .. that spacecraft is horribly underexposed mwink.gif

I was going to make a snide remark but I was beaten to the punch.

I wish I would have seen all that euipment on a 15$ tripod though... haha that would have been fun!

That's really cool btw.
    5D2 + 50D | Canon EF-s 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5 USM | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 50mm 1.8, 580EXII
    http://stridephoto.carbonmade.com
  • LoriKTMLoriKTM Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited May 19, 2009
    Very cool!! Thanks for the link! thumb.gif
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2009
    Unreal! eek7.gif
    Thanks for sharing!
    What amazes me the most is that he took that in Florida, and on the beach of all places... Air humidity and winds alone must have created tons of problems...
    I can only imagine what kind of quality one could get with a similar equipment and a better location... headscratch.gif

All this DIY astro stuff is really making me itch to go and do it...mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2009
    Manfr3d wrote:

aye..the new nikon sb-900000 would have worked
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com