Options

LR2 Metedata 'gone with the wind' (?)

redhaltonredhalton Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
edited May 19, 2009 in Finishing School
I've just taken a leap of faith and moved my images onto an external drive '15k' images. I was very careful and thought I had done everything correct. My external drive and folders show up in LR2, but none of the metadata carried over. What did I miss?

The second part to this question--now that I'm moving my images to my external HD to free up space on my desk top HD, what's the point on import of doing a back up on the same drive? If I lose my external HD, the back up is gone as well. I dunno--it would make more sense to me to purchase yet another external HD and back up to this drive.

I'm confused ;-))

Comments

• Options
    redhaltonredhalton Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited May 19, 2009
    UPDATE--the metadata did carryover, it's the keywords which didn't.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited May 19, 2009
    redhalton wrote:
    I've just taken a leap of faith and moved my images onto an external drive '15k' images. I was very careful and thought I had done everything correct. My external drive and folders show up in LR2, but none of the metadata carried over. What did I miss?

The second part to this question--now that I'm moving my images to my external HD to free up space on my desk top HD, what's the point on import of doing a back up on the same drive? If I lose my external HD, the back up is gone as well. I dunno--it would make more sense to me to purchase yet another external HD and back up to this drive.

I'm confused ;-))

I recommend a second external hard drive. Get all you data off your main hard drive. If your computer has room for a 2nd internal drive you can use one there, partitioned as 2 drives, so you have one for data, and a scratch drive for Photoshop if you run Photoshop.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Thunder RabbitThunder Rabbit Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2009
    Howdy.

Go look at this. It is an Adobe Support response. It's about missing keywords, and is not the same situation as yours, but it might be helpful, none the less.

Good luck.
    Peace,
    Lee

Thunder Rabbit GRFX
    www.thunderrabbitgrfx.com