The Palouse...

rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
edited May 20, 2009 in Landscapes
As seen from Steptoe Butte.
We visited Steptoe Butte this last Saturday. It was a bit hazy, but here are a couple pics. I have more that I need to edit, but just did these fast last night.

Ron

540511989_rCRT3-L.jpg

540511433_rV6Pq-L.jpg
"The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95

Comments

• dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2009
    Beautiful images! I especially like the second one but there seems to be a bit of a blue cast in the fields. Maybe warm that up a little? Anyway, good looking stuff.

I'm thinking of heading to Steptoe this coming weekend so I'm glad it's looking good over there.
  • greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2009
    Ditto on that! Beautiful images! It reminds me that I need to get over to the Palouse with my camera.
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2009
    Thanks guys.

Danny, it is real pretty up there right now. There was quite a bit of haze in the air last Saturday. They are working the fields and crop dusting and such. This is the first time I had been up there in years. Early morning would be a great time to be up there! About an hour before sundown the light was pretty nice.
    I don't know if you have been up there before, but if not, it is a real treat!

Ron

Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2009
    Beautiful thumb.gif Looks like someone threw a green/tan velvet blanket over the ground.

May I ask where Steptoe Butte is?
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2009
    Awesome, what a beautiful place!
    dseidman wrote:
    Beautiful images! I especially like the second one but there seems to be a bit of a blue cast in the fields. Maybe warm that up a little? Anyway, good looking stuff.

I'm thinking of heading to Steptoe this coming weekend so I'm glad it's looking good over there.

Same here! I haven't been there before, it does look like a long telephoto would come in handy, so I'll probably bring my 100-400, but might bring my 500 too with the 24-105 and 16-35. I also want to try Palouse Falls.

It looks like the forecast is about 30% cloud cover the entire weekend which is promising.
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    ront wrote:
    Thanks guys.

Danny, it is real pretty up there right now. There was quite a bit of haze in the air last Saturday. They are working the fields and crop dusting and such. This is the first time I had been up there in years. Early morning would be a great time to be up there! About an hour before sundown the light was pretty nice.
    I don't know if you have been up there before, but if not, it is a real treat!

Ron

The only time I ever went to the Palouse I was just passing through and I was about 8 years old so I don't have much memory of it. I saw Palouse Falls but have never been up to Steptoe Butte. I'm really looking forward to it with all the nice photos I've been seeing from there.
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    I think that we may grab some more family and head up there again this week end. It is really pretty up there!
    I have just recently heard of Palouse Falls and seen a few pictures of it also. I definitely would like to find them also. They are a bit further away from Spokane I believe. Steptoe Butte is only about 30-40 mins from our place.

Ron

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    Amazing, Ron! The second looks like liquid on an alien planet. thumb.gif