Camera Help

Derek731Derek731 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited May 20, 2009 in Cameras
My pops has passed on to me two older cameras. I know nothing about them!

The first one is a Olympus OM2 seems to be working just needs new battery.

The second one is a Olympus OM10 needs new battery and on/off button needs to be replaced. They both have multiple lenses and in working condition.

I am not sure if i should fix them and use them (i know they are old), or fix them and sell them and get a new camera.

And where can i get parts and get them checked out, any input or advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,081 moderator
    edited May 19, 2009
    Derek731, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Olympus cameras are pretty wonderful and the OM-2 and OM-10 cameras you have may still be great film cameras. The bigger question is whether you think you want/need film or digital.

I have to admit that I am spoiled to digital, and I hardly ever use film cameras anymore (although I have a "lot" of film cameras of different kinds.)

It would certainly be worthwhile to get some new batteries and it looks like the OM-2 uses pretty common battery types.

If the cameras do come back to life with new batteries you might check with KEH, B&H and Adorama about service and repair. I would suggest at least a "Clean, Lubricate and Adjust" (CLA).

Maybe work with the OM-2 for a while to see if it suits you. If it does, then you're all set. If not, at least you will know from experience.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Derek731Derek731 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 20, 2009
    I greatly appreciate the advice. I will let you know how it works out, a very good photographer that i know will be shooting Motocross with the camera once i get some film. We will get to see how good/bad it is for what i need it for (MX). mwink.gif

Ziggy53 - How do i decipher between wether i need digital or film?

Again, Thank You.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,081 moderator
    edited May 20, 2009
    Derek731 wrote:
    ... Ziggy53 - How do i decipher between wether i need digital or film?

Again, Thank You.

A lot of your decision will be based on your use of the camera.

Digital cameras are nice because, while you pay a lot up front, there are reduced (amortized) costs through the life of the camera the more images you take. Since you don't have to pay for film, processing, digitizing (if needed) and such, digital can save money in the long run.

All current digital SLRs use autofocus, and most are pretty competent autofocus and better than manual focus (certainly faster than manual focus.) This may or may not make a big difference to you depending on the particular application, but, in general, autofocus is a benefit. The 2 cameras you have are manual focus and you have to use a different technique with them especially is a sports/action application.

If you intend to display your work on the Internet or if you want to do software post-processing, you have to digitize film. A digital camera, of course, provides digital images, ready for software post-processing and presentaion. I greatly prefer a digital workflow and so do the vast majority of current professional and amateur photographers.

35mm film images are approximately equivalent to 6 MPix digital images in terms of actual detail. (Very expensive drum scans and very careful post processing can do somewhat better.) Unfortunately, about the only major advantage film has over digital is in the area of dynamic range, but if you use high-ISO film any advantage is lost.

Digital cameras can mix multiple ISOs at will, and many modern digital SLRs can shoot up to ISO 800 almost without impunity. Film grain becomes rather obvious, even at moderate print sizes, starting at ISO 400.

Lots more reasons, but those are the one's that come to mind.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums