canon battery grip prob.

BGtomBGtom Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
edited May 20, 2009 in Cameras
Sorry if this is the wrong place for this, but has anyone had issues with their canon battery grip?

I am using the canon BG-E3 battery grip with an XTi. Never had a problem in more than a year, then recently, while shooting continuous on aperture priority the shutter will jump from, say 1/500 up to 1/4000 in the course of one shot to the next (@ 3fps), resulting in (first shot) proper exposure) to (next shot) mostly black, no significant camera motion. At the same time, all the segments in the eyepiece display lite up and stay that way until, after the shot, and after the display goes out as it normally would after the full release of the shutter button. Sometimes it will stay freaked out, other times it goes back to normal. Sometimes it will start that way from the first half-press of the shutter button. It happens in either landscape or portrait orientation (I say this because of the portrait shutter button on the BG).

I address this as a BG problem because I can't duplicate the problem with the BG removed from the camera. Re-attatching the grip restores the prob. The batteries are fully charged, and the contacts look clean and undamaged. In fact, the BG grip is never apart from the camera.

In experimenting, it seems to happen more when in portrait orientation. The BG seems to be plenty tight on the body.

Any thoughts? Also, since I'll probably end up having to take it to canon, anyone have experience with walking in to a sevice center and having them check it out right there? Yeah, yeah. I know...me and everyone else. Just starting to freak out cause I have a job coming up and I NEED my stuff! :D

Thanks everyone.
Canon 7D! | Baux Pinhole MkIV | 30mm TP Tube Extender | SteadiHand IS system | BiPed 2000 Camera Support | Steely Gaze

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,081 moderator
    edited May 19, 2009
    Which batteries are you using? Be as specific as possible.
    Does the problem happen mostly while using a particular lens?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • BGtomBGtom Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    did i fix it???
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Which batteries are you using? Be as specific as possible.
    Does the problem happen mostly while using a particular lens?
    I'm using 1 kit battery (NB-2LH) and 1 synergy-digital (NB-2LH replacement) in the grip. I've tested the prob with my 70-200 2.8 IS and my 70-300 5.6 IS.

New testing, now that you've gone and made me be more specific! I tried using the optional AA battery tray to determine if different contacts might make a difference. I tried switching the NBs around in their tray; I tried using just one NB; first the canon then the Synergy, and then swapping which receptacle they sit in tray. Results? When you really need something to malfunction on command...After firing off more than 1000 shutter actuations, I got the bloody thing to freak out exactly once. Not very conclusive. I suppose it's nice if it fixed itself, but I doubt it will stay that way when I really need it.

Thanks ziggy.
    Canon 7D! | Baux Pinhole MkIV | 30mm TP Tube Extender | SteadiHand IS system | BiPed 2000 Camera Support | Steely Gaze
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    I'm not sure why but my gut feeling tells me that it's the third party battery. I had a sterlingtek battery go bad and it really freaked out the XT.

Try to see if the third party battery is recharging normally. It may be the first sign that the battery is going bad.