Got my d90 today!

lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
edited May 23, 2009 in Cameras
Wow makes my d40 feel so dinky! I can't believe the difference in picture quality! I have a TON to learn but I'm excited, I'm sure I'll be on here asking lots of questions. :)

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,081 moderator
    edited May 19, 2009
    Congratulations and enjoy. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • PamaniPamani Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited May 19, 2009
    congrats... snap away
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    Congrats on a great purchase.
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    thanks! I'm so excited and also SO overwhelmed, but so far adjusting to the flow. I love how there are two different dials for manual mode to change the ap. and ss. and all the buttons right there on camera to change some of the settings. It's heavier than the d40, something i have to get used to but I can't wait to get out and play with it! One thing I'm not crazy about though is the live view. it seems slow to take a picture with it. I don't even care because I'll never use it, but just seems odd. Does anyone actually use that?
  • TizianoTiziano Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    I shoot some instructional book type stuff and now and then I'll use LiveView for focussing.
    That option was one of it's main selling points for me. Now that I have been using the cam for 7 months I find that I don't use LV nearly as much as I thought I would.

I love my D90 and congrats.
    A Nikon D90 plus some Nikon, Sigma & Tokina lenses.
  • Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    Great upgrade! I got my D90 a few months ago and my previous camera was a D40. I love the feel of the D90... I have a set of paws on me and by comparison the D40 feels like a toy every time I pick it up now. I keep it around for a backup but I hope I never have to go back to it. Don't get me wrong, it was great while it lasted and will still make some awesome photos but the D90 is so much more comfortable for me to use and has much better controls. I love not having to peer through the viewfinder to quickly check aperture, shutter speed, and ISO as well.

I use the live view mode occasionally, which is more than I thought I ever wood. It works well for composing on a tripod when you have the camera mounted low or higher than your eye level. No more stooping down and cramming your face at an awkward angle to see what's in the shot, or standing on your toes and trying to keep your balance. Makes composing in these situations much easier. The other time I'll use it is for certain focusing situations, because in live view mode the focusing works by detecting contrast from the actual image on the sensor. This means that you can move the focus point anywhere you want it on the image, including the extreme edges of the frame or in the corners. This means you can focus anywhere you want to without focusing and then recomposing the shot. Again this is very useful on a tripod where you don't want to be moving the camera back and forth to focus on something that doesn't happen to have a focus point on it given how you've set up your composition.
  • mud390mud390 Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    Congrats! Enjoy your new camera.

Kris
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    Thanks! I'm actually starting to figure it all out already!

Tim- Wow you are so right about the D40, it does feel like a toy. The D90 feels so heavy, it's hard to hold steady. I need to work on that because some of my pictures aren't coming out as sharp as I want. But i know it's only because of my unsteadiness, because when I do get a sharp one, it's pretty sharp! Any tips on that by the way? I mean I know I could use a tripod and all that but it's not really practical most of the time for me. Is it just something I need to get used to?

Oh and that's a good point about the live view, i never thought of using it in some of those ways. Makes sense now..
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,081 moderator
    edited May 21, 2009
    lilmomma wrote:
    ... The D90 feels so heavy, it's hard to hold steady. I need to work on that because some of my pictures aren't coming out as sharp as I want. But i know it's only because of my unsteadiness, because when I do get a sharp one, it's pretty sharp! Any tips on that by the way?...

How to hold the camera to decrease motion blur?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ride16ride16 Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    I just got mine at the end of April. I love it! You're going to have a blast with it. :D

BLOG
    WEBSITE
  • jthomasjthomas Registered Users Posts: 454 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    The other time I'll use it is for certain focusing situations, because in live view mode the focusing works by detecting contrast from the actual image on the sensor. This means that you can move the focus point anywhere you want it on the image, including the extreme edges of the frame or in the corners. This means you can focus anywhere you want to without focusing and then recomposing the shot. Again this is very useful on a tripod where you don't want to be moving the camera back and forth to focus on something that doesn't happen to have a focus point on it given how you've set up your composition.
    I'm expecting a new D90 tomorrow, but I didn't realize this about it. Looks pretty useful; thanks for pointing it out, Tim.

I'm actually stepping down from a D200, but I'm expecting better image quality, less convenient controls, but a much lighter camera.

The D200 was getting to be a load.
  • Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    Personally I find it easier to hand hold steadily with the larger/heavier camera because it feels more solid in my hands and it sort of stabilizes itself... it's sort of like shooting a gun, get the target in your sights, take a breath, let it out halfway, hold steady, and SQUEEZE the trigger (don't pull/jerk it). And hold it tight against your body (face in this case). But on the other hand, don't clutch it with a death grip because that will make you shake and rattle and your shots will actually become worse. Hold it firmly but don't tense up. And did I mention to slowly squeeze the shutter?
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2009
    I had the same problem when going from the D50 to the D300. Big learning curve. Because the D40 and D50 I was shooting mostly on the green mode and it does a lot of the settings for you. Something about the pixel density shows the shakes more, I think I read that somewhereheadscratch.gif
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/