Options

Edwards AFB Space Shuttle Landing?????

wes600rrwes600rr Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
Wondering if anyone has ever gone out to Edwards AFB for a Space Shuttle landing. They say the base isn't open to the public and that they have a Public Viewing Area off of HWY 58. (Thats a long way out)

I ask because it appears we have a good chance the Shuttle will be landing at Edwards this Friday May 22nd. FL is getting hit and they say will continue to get hit with a storm system threw the weekend. This leaves Edwards as the place to go. The shuttle doens't come to Southern Cali very often these days and this could be one of the last chances to capture a landing.

I will likely have access to the base if this happens.. Dont know if anyone has any tips on where to be..

Thanks in advance...

Scott

Comments

• Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited May 20, 2009
    Scott

I did. It was a very long time ago - possibly 25 years (?) for what I recall was the landing of the first shuttle.

As you can imagine there were huge crowds for such a great experience. The hwy was lined with cars and people along the sides of the road for miles. The viewing was fine as I recall.
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2009
    Cool.. I was worried that the View site on the Hwy wouldn't provide any real line of site.. If this happens I hope to be able to find a location near the flight line.......

Thanks Angelo.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited May 20, 2009
    well like I said, it was a LONG time ago and I don't know what's happened out there since. but back then there was nothing roadside and the landing strip ran parallel to the hwy so the view of the landing was completely unobstructed for the entire length of the glide path. if I recall correctly the landing strip was maybe a mile in from roadside, close enough to see everything!

have you tried checking out the site on Google Earth for a clear view of the terrain?
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2009
    I have spent a lot of time checking the site and doing research on recent the most recent landings..

Sadly as of this morning NASA plans on holding the shuttle till Sat for a Shot at FL. If the Shuttle does come to Edwards it won't be till Sat afternoon or Sunday. (Both days I can't head north)
  • Options
    FrxzoggFrxzogg Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 23, 2009
    Atlantis landing opportunity at Edwards AFB
    I was there for the last landing (Endeavour, in November). Was in LA that morning and drove out to the desert at the last minute. Spectacular sight - we saw the entire approach and landing from the road, with loud double sonic boom as a bonus.

Anywhere along Avenue B or Mercury Blvd is fine - look it up on Google Maps. Just go up 120th Street from Lancaster and turn right. Just beware that it takes forever to drive those desert roads, so get there early.

There is a 50/50 chance that they will go for Edwards on Sunday, because Florida is still socked in. Should be spectacular. The ground track calls for a southerly approach, which favors roadside viewers. Good luck!
  • Options
    FrxzoggFrxzogg Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 24, 2009
    Try the North side
    Update: Looks like Rte 58 on the North side is better. Edwards is not opening the viewing area on Mercury Blvd at this time (boo) and the ground track looks like it gets to within a mile of Rte 58, which is just outside the base. Try 20 Mule Team Road - what a name. I just might go there...
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2009
    Boo... I am at work today and can't get out... Just mins away from a landing now... I doubt we will see many more Landings on the west coast..

But what really matters is I am going to Zion this week and then to Salt Lake City for World Super Bike!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins Rockledge, FL on the Space CoastPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    You Got the Landing
    Well, you folks got the landing this morning. The next thing will be to get the 747/shuttle piggyback flight bringing it back here.

Do you get much media coverage of when the departure will be? We get nice coverage of the piggyback returns (route & expected time). This will be my first piggyback since upgrading from a Minolta A2 so I expect great things from my DSLR.

Endeavour over Cocoa Beach last December, Minolta A2 & CROPPED

Piggyback1.jpg
  • Options
    squiddysquiddy Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    I lived out in Lancaster when the shuttled laded at Edwards a few years ago. From 40ish miles away it shook my house as it landed.

My ex at the time worked on the base and had to go though the west gate because they shut down the main roads around the runway.

If they let people in you might be able to see it landing but you probably won't get to see it right off the runway just because the streets that are closed off are pretty far out.

get a big lens :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins Rockledge, FL on the Space CoastPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2009
    This morning's paper (Sunday) here in Florida says the departure is planned at first light (pre-sunrise) Monday morning. The shuttle to be mounted on the 747 Sunday morning.
  • Options
    cunarder534cunarder534 Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2009
    Jim K wrote:
    This morning's paper (Sunday) here in Florida says the departure is planned at first light (pre-sunrise) Monday morning. The shuttle to be mounted on the 747 Sunday morning.

Thanks for the heads up on this one. thumb.gif