Options

Pet Portraits!

Purest Light PhotographyPurest Light Photography Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
edited June 3, 2009 in Technique
Normally I shoot children in natural like but I have customer that wants me to take some portraits of her dog. I don't want to turn away business so does anyone have any pointers/tips on photographing pets? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Susan

Comments

• Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    As with children, get down to their level, sometimes, you'd have to be on your belly too Laughing.gif
    Got to capture those doggy eyes, ya know!!! Bring lots of treats!

Good luck!
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    I would use natural light(they tend not to like flash) turn the beep off on the camera (it tends to scare them.) use a long lens so you can stand back and let them do their thing. Use phrases like "where's mommy or where's daddy) that usually provokes some cute expressions. Whistle. Have the owner interact with the pet from a distance. I just did a photoshoot with my pup if you want to check it out... www.wingsoflovephoto.com galleries pets Riley is how you get there. Good luck!
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited May 20, 2009
    Get low - or put them on a table if they are comfortable with that, but shoot from their eye level, just like with kids.

Soft window light, not hot lights. Reflectors can be used. A bit a flash works for some pets, but frightens some so use it lightly or not at all.

Shoot a grey card first so you have something to white balance off of.

I agree with a 135mm or longer lens, so that you don't invade their space.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    squeaky toy and a clicker. Either one will usually make them perk up. I supose that is a no brainer though!

matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    Purest Light PhotographyPurest Light Photography Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    Thank you
    Thank you all for your help! :D
  • Options
    JoieJoie Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    Just be prepared to shoot quick.

I'm not a professional photographer, but I have two dogs and I get the cutest head tilts (and they hold the head tilt a couple of seconds longer) with the toys which are songbirds with electronic sounds:

http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/CWyse/-strse-Toys/searchpath/43499622/start/19/total/34/Categories.bok

I personally think the bird sounds are annoying but my dogs like 'em.