Concert Panorama

david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
edited June 12, 2005 in People
My daughter's school had their Spring Concert the other day. I don't usually take a camera to these kinds of events, there are usually quite enough people clicking away, using flash when you're not supposed to etc.

This time, my wife thought some pictures would be nice, so I brought along my D70 and 85mm 1.8, great because this combo fits in my smallest bag.

Anyway, along with all the usuall pictures, I took five of the chorus as the end and used Photoshop to make this panorama. The light wasn't very good, so it's shot at ISO 1600 - bit noisy but I might work on it at some point.

Handheld at f1.8.

24637737-L.jpg

Here's the link to the original if you want to see it - very large file though.

Comments

• ridetwistyroadsridetwistyroads Registered Users Posts: 526 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2005
    It is a wee bit noisy, but, it's still an execelent capture. I really like it, great feeling of "i'm there." thumb.gif
    "There is a place for me somewhere, where I can write and speak much as I think, and make it pay for my living and some besides. Just where this place is I have small idea now, but I am going to find it" Carl Sandburg
  • david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2005
    It is a wee bit noisy, but, it's still an execelent capture. I really like it, great feeling of "i'm there." thumb.gif
    I don't shoot at very high ISOs very much so I don't have much experience with handling noisy.

So I ran the photo through Neat Image and I like the result. I've changed the original post to point to the "reduced noise" version. Here is an additional link to it:
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2005
    Great capture, David. I bet your wife and daughter were mighty pleased with the result.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2005
    Handheld? Very impressive. And talk about tough, having to stitch together something with people who move! You did a great job, I only see one face that took a hit. thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Handheld? Very impressive. And talk about tough, having to stitch together something with people who move! You did a great job, I only see one face that took a hit. thumb.gif
    Thanks Sid. I was very surprised at how well this came out, they didn't know I was doing this, so no-one was trying to stay still.

I'm going to perform a bit of surgery on that one guys face to see if I can make him look a bit better. There's also one area where a couple of girls arms are not quite right.

It's the first time I've used the photomerge feature in Photoshop and I was impressed with how well it works. I just had to get the different shots in roughly the right position and the software snapped them into place.
    marlof wrote:
    Great capture, David. I bet your wife and daughter were mighty pleased with the result.
    Cheers Marlof. What's ironic is that we can only see the very top part of our daughter's head - the one person I wanted and no sign of her.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2005
    david_h wrote:
    What's ironic is that we can only see the very top part of our daughter's head - the one person I wanted and no sign of her.
    lol3.gif Oh, the irony! What a shame.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au