Pentax anounces: Pentax K-7

Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
edited May 20, 2009 in Cameras
“To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
― Edward Weston

Comments

• scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    It's a GREAT day to be a Pentaxian!thumb.gif
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    eek7.gif :cry But I'm still saving up for the K20d ...

[EDIT] DPReview has a preview up. Looks sweeeeeeeet!
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,081 moderator
    edited May 20, 2009
    This is a pretty comprehensive upgrade and one that the professional community has been waiting for from Pentax.

Faster operation with higher fps and (apparently) better responsiveness.
    Much improved viewfinder with 100% coverage.
    Much improved LCD
    Much improved metering system
    Improved shutter with a 1/8000th top speed (alas, it still x-syncs at 1/180th)
    More usable Live View mode
    Exposure bracketing
    MLU
    Improved dust reduction system
    Video recording with mic inputs
    AF assist lamp on the body
    Custom user information added to EXIF
    Magnesium alloy body on top of stainless chassis (a little odd but good just the same.)
    Dedicated ISO button
    Carryover of the environmentally sealed body

All of these things add up to most certainly the best Pentax dSLR ever made and a very well-rounded camera for almost any use.

It will be very interesting to see the full reviews on this camera.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    This is a pretty comprehensive upgrade and one that the professional community has been waiting for from Pentax.

Much improved LCD
    Exposure bracketing
    MLU
    Magnesium alloy body on top of stainless chassis (a little odd but good just the same.)
    Dedicated ISO button

All of these things add up to most certainly the best Pentax dSLR ever made and a very well-rounded camera for almost any use.

Don't forget:

SRP $1299. (wasn't that long ago that the entry level Canikons were that price or more ...) Available in July. :ivar :ivar

EDIT: And, holy cow! It's small! Smaller than an Oly E-30 or a Canon 50d, and barely larger than my entry level K100D.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:

Much improved LCD
    Exposure bracketing
    MLU
    Dedicated ISO button

15524779-Ti.gif - the only down-side I see in the specs is the use of SD and SDHC Cards vs. CF - but that's a small nit to pick. I can't afford to switch, but this looks like it could be a very sweet machine.deal.gif
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    Now if only Pentax had would continue to produce their old FA lenses, especialy the long ones ...
    ... which on the other hand I would probably not be able to afford, like this baby here, insane:
    Pentax FA* 250-600mm f/5.6 mwink.gif
    ― Edward Weston
  • InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    Very nice. It's what a lot of Olympus users wanted from the E-30 (which is bigger and not weather sealed). It's also nice to see Pentax also providing a weather sealed kit lens. Shooting in the rain isn't just for pros!
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    EDIT: And, holy cow! It's small! Smaller than an Oly E-30 or a Canon 50d, and barely larger than my entry level K100D.

nod.gif

I briefly scanned the review, and that stuck to me as a big deal. My K200D falls very nicely to hand, while a friends D200 seems massive.

If the picture quality is there, I'll be very glad to buy a used one in two years once I've become annoyed with the limited external controls and 12mp CCD of the K200D.

Very happy to see Pentax step up to the plate. thumb.gif
  • Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    Small & smart=Pentax
    This looks like a fine tool. Reminds me of the Pentax MZ-S film body, very small and feature packed. Small form factor and excellent design has always been a Pentax hallmark.

The film-oriented FA lenses are excellent, but my experience is that the new DA Limited lenses such as the 35mm macro and the 70mm provide slightly better optical rendering, and they are smaller.

M